70 SS 454 Casting # Question

I'm looking to buy what's supposed to be a 70 #s matching SS 454 with auto trans. The only thing I wondered is the block casting is CRN and everything I can find says that is a 4spd casting. The VIN matches, but I know that can be faked. Any ideas?

CRN is a good number for the SS454. I know what the book says about it being for a stick car but I have seen a numbers matching SS car with a CRN block. There is also at least one SS in the club with a numbers matching CRN block.

BTW, that is not the casting number, it is the serial number. The casting number is found on the back of the block and is actually cast into the block. The serial numbers like CRN are stamped on the cylinder pad.

Good luck - buy that SS!

------------------

Dave Kase

"Desmo888"

'70 SS454

in the chevrolet ss muscle car red book the only codes they give for ss montes are and i "cgw- 454 ci v-8 4 bbl 360 gp, 4 speed manual" the other one is "cgt 454 ci v-8 4 bbl 360 hp, turbo hydra mtic autonmatic"

• 2 weeks later...

From "Chevrolet by the Numbers 1970-75" the block casting number would be 3963512. The same block number was also used in 69, 70 and 71.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 04-06-2001).]