1970 front Vigilite Lens

70mcarlo

70 Montes don't have the blue for the separate high beam bulb that the 70 Chevelle has. This could be used on a Monte and only a 70 Monte nut would know the difference. Just connect the green to parking light and clear to headlight. We know that it was a 70 only option so his listing for 71 up is wrong.

If you are a purest the answer is no. Here is what I know. Believe it or not but our 70 Monte's should have just the Green and the Clear Indicators. There should not be anything in the middle. I really think that might of been a factory thing. If they were Dealer installed they used the 69 Camaro kit. I have seen Monte Carlo's both ways. I would buy the Camaro lenses, that is what I did. My Monte is a 71 and I installed the system on it. I know it's not correct but whos counting. I think it is a cool option.

I'm pretty sure it's Headlight-Green and Signal Light-Clear.

Rob Peters has them on his 70 Monte. Maybe he will chime in.

Carl is correct, the green IS the headlight and the clear is the parking light but it glows amber because the fiber optics transmit the color of the parking/turn signal light bulb.

the Monte only had the two lens in each of the fronts and three in the rear package tray which was a clear one in the middle and a red one on each side of the reds. The reds monitored the parking/turn/brake lights on each side and the center clear monitored the license plate light.

Rob

I added, the finer optics to the convertible and used a set from a 70 chenille as well, on mine the 3 lens were used as so.. drivers side has a Green for left turn signal in the front bumper on my 70 and the blue in the middle is the headlight one and the clear one is for the marker lamps when the headlights are out the clear one lights up as its hooked into the housing of the front side marker and the same for the passenger side except there is Red for the right signal, the rear convertible has an actual convertible fiber optic turtle shell style and has only 2 reds that work off of the break light / turn signal in the tail light housing which is neat as they are Red at night with the lights and glow that little bit lighter when turning… just what I did with mine and who can argue as its a ragtop monte…. hahahaha

montegarage_zps4f9ff0b6.jpg

Darren.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Can anyone who has this feature (the vigilite) working tell me what head lamps they are using.  

I thought the fiber line for the head lamps must be bad because that portion of the system does not work but the parking/turn lights work and the head lamps are in fact working.  Further investigation shows that the fiber line runs to the center of the head lamp plug (see picture) and is expected to pickup light from the center of the backside of the bulb.  However, these Sylvanias (and others I looked at in the local AutoZone) have a small metal ball sealed in the center of the bulb.  The combination of the sealer and the metal ball prevents much (if any) light from shining out the back of the bulb where the optic line is and thus no light up on the fender.

post-4732-0-97684800-1525544879_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-36375200-1525544897_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I am sorry but I have not had a chance to get up to where my car is stored to check out what you need.  I will as soon as I can.

rob