Grille Restoration

Patrick Sheean

Looks good anyway...

Is that a crack I see in the corner? If so someone who specializes in pot metal will have to do that one to fix the crack.

A place in Atlanta, GA replated a 70 grille recently for $450 and turned out great. But I do not know if they have the ability to weld potmetal...

It might be cheaper to find a solid one that has decent chrome than to try to fix the ding and the crack. Rainer in Vancouver, Washington seems to have nice quality grills for sale once in a while.

Also note that the inside edges of the grill area were painted silver and then the vertical bars were painted black from the factory. Pretty much just the front face was left chrome from the factory. smile

Hi,

Yes it is a dent and the pot metal is split. It can be repaired but it is costly. Aaron thanks for the info too. I really liked the Monte Fuego grille, all blacked out inside. Has anybody purchased one of Leo's reconditioned grilles or bumpers?

WP_20131114_0021_zps7a94a768.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

Leo's reconditioned grilles are used just detailed out like factory.

I see the dent now, to get that redone by Pauls' you are looking at $2000.

I have several that are not dented up and no cracks that could be replated for $500 or less. I get $75-150 on grilles like that.

More if the chrome is good.

Mine is suppose to be back from the platers this month along with frt bumper.Had a same ding in grill they will fix.It is a place called Southern Bumper close to Atl Airport.Hope that they turn out.Need to call them as I took them on Oct 9th.Had the little pieces on straps redone also.Grill is $350 to replate.Their # is 404-761-5477

Mine is suppose to be back from the platers this month along with frt bumper.Had a same ding in grill they will fix.It is a place called Southern Bumper close to Atl Airport.Hope that they turn out.Need to call them as I took them on Oct 9th.Had the little pieces on straps redone also.Grill is $350 to replate.Their # is 404-761-5477

I think they are the ones who done this grille I'm thinking of, but was $400 or $450.

Thanks D.E.,

I'll keep the number, I'm just trying to line some things up. Just had to pay for a wedding in August and am still recovering from that one. Please post up some pics of their work.

Monte_zps5a424f5b.jpg

Blessings,

Patrick

Jared sometimes they charge different prices on same thing.Depends on how they feel I guess.My guards will be $300

$300 for all 4 I hope.. Tri City gets $80 a guard. So that would be 320 for 4.

$300 for all 4 ,$75 a guard.Have not got any of it back yet.Called Fri and he said call back MOn to take to is daughter as she knows about the time line

Thanks for all the great info everyone, pictures please from those who mentioned having chrome work done, you know a picture is worth a 1,000 words cool

Thanks Patrick

Hi, Patrick,

Here's some BEFORE and AFTER photos of the guards I recently had re-chromed at Tri-City Plating in Tennessee. They charged $75 each plus shipping. I also needed new rubber inserts which were $40 a pair plus shipping. The whole project cost right at $400. If you also need new inserts and can snag a pair of NOS guards from eBay for under $200 a pair plus shipping, that is and even better deal. I found a pair of NOS rear guards for my other '70 on eBay for $125 plus shipping, but they don't show up very often.

BEFORE:

443_zps1049f962.jpg

AFTER:

P4015202_zpsd265da2f.jpg

P4015205_zps08844fdb.jpg

P4015209_zps294beb69.jpg

P4025257_zps4d797ae7.jpg

P4025269_zps2fd618af.jpg

I was eyeballing a extremely nice '71 grill at Leo's yesterday wink

Thanks Sam,

I talked to Leo, if it is the one we talked about it is around 1k. I've purchased a lot of great parts from Leo, he's good people.

MonteWallPaper_zps7c26da4b.jpg

Thanks again,

Patrick

I sold an NOS 71 for $1000 back early part of the year.

The fact is you can get a lot better chrome quality for around what has been discussed, and long as you start with a non-cracked core. The shop that has been discussed in Atlanta does good work, and that's a lot less $$ than an NOS grille.