fish eye again

D.E

Had the same problem with fish eye again on hood and trunk 3rd time spraying them.Stopped by new paint dealer yesterday and told him my problem and he asked if I had a heater in shop powered by K1 or diesel fuel I told him diesel is in my cigar heater and he said I was getting the fish eye from the vapors off it even if it is not running.Is that true or what Thanks about to drive me crazy

That very well might be the problem. I have run across some strange happenings over the years caused by what I would have never guessed to be the causing the problems. While my son in-law was preping his engine bay for painting two weeks ago he ran into the fish eye problem on his primer. He took some SEM Solve as a pre-cleaner and that cleared up the problem. When I got there on Sat to do the colorization I looked around to see what I could find and he had a kerosene heater that had been running earlier that week. So you never know that cigar heater might be the problem.

I've read over the years about the possible problems with running diesel heaters when painting. I personally have painted maybe 100 cars using a diesel heater to heat my shop and have not run into any fish eye problems , however I do sometimes have some dust issues in my paint that are easily remedied by wet sanding and polishing which I do anyway after a paint job. Over the years I have found a few other products that will cause fish eye and the number 1 product. That I don't use in my shop at all is WD. 40 the particles stay airborne for hours. Also any other spray lubes I use I limit the amount of and thoroughly air out and clean shop before I paint. I also prefer painting with a damp floor to keep down dust and minute particles.

I would suspect the diesel heater your using. Fisheye problems are the worst, mostly because to solve the problem you must locate the source of contamination. Seems like in your case "airborne" since sounds like you have taken all the precautions to properly clean your paint surface, so lets eliminate that as a culprit. Could even be anything else not only in your workspace but even outside emitting contamination into the air, almost impossible to isolate. First logical thing to do is try again with a different heat source. I have been painting for 20+ years and rarely see fisheyes FORTUNEATLY! Here are a few situations that have caused problems for me in the past though. Contamination (silicone, ie. armor all type products) from a detail department near the body shop. Cars from our used car dept that have been detailed prior to entering the body shop, underhood all greased up with some sort of silicone spray to make everything look shiny & new and tire dressing too. Paint sealants that have been applied previously on the paint that contain silicone. Mechanics using aerosol rust inhibitors, and lubricants.

Here is the best one and I have witnessed it twice, didn't happen to myself but two different co workers at two different shops years apart in time. A fellow painter was having fisheye problems bad, but only on top panels, sides were fine. after a week or so of struggling a paint rep stopped by to help with the problem. He went through the normal routine checking the obvious coming up empty handed then asked the painter if he has changed anything in his normal personal hygiene regimine. Painter said he started using a different deodorant about the same time the fisheye problem started, hmmmm. Next day didn't use that deodorant and no fisheyes. Makes sense now knowing while painting upper panels your arm pit is exposed somewhat with typically a downdraft crossing its path thus contaminating on the way down. Sounds far fetched but true story backed up by this story. Recently one of my painters had the same issue frustrated he came to me wondering what the problem could be. Joking around I said maybe its your deodorant, did you change brands lately. He told me he ran out of deodorant 3 days ago and had been using his wife's "secret" brand deodorant, you know the stuff that's strong enough for a man but made for a woman. I thought it was hilarious he was using her deordorant. I told him this same deordorant story and he didn't believe me that the problem could be coming from his pits. So I told him don't use the secret tomorrow & we'll find out. Next day no deodorant, NO FISHEYES, he was blown away and now convinced of the source of contamination.

Find the source, eliminate the problem.

I was going to mention the deodorant thing that Cory brought up, Degree I believe it was caused problems in our shops before, along with a Burger King down the street having grease from the fryers causing it too. I have found certain paint brands are more succeptable to it, Sikkens for instance would fisheye if a diesel truck drove by, but RM products I've barely beer seen a fisheye in. I'm using DuPont now with now issues either.

Moisture in your air source, and the kero heat source I would eliminate first, that being said I worked in a shop

for over 10 years with kero as the main heat source, with never so much as a single fisheye.

I seen that about deodorant on TV one day in the Corvette place in KY that they did a test spray sample before you entered the paint area for fisheye.But I had this trouble before it got cold and have not turned heater on before I sprayed the last time.I'm going to try to hang the hood vertical and see if spraying it flat is my problem.As I don't see fisheye till I really come back in shop after 30 minutes or so after clear coats.But I will wipe down and sand it again and go at it for the 4th time.Thanks Also going to change the air hose again

You can also get a filter that goes on the spray gun that is about the size of a tennis ball. These work really well and usually cost around $8 bucks. Screwon between the fitting and the gun.

I have one on the guns and I use only one gun for each like 1 for primer,1 for color and 1 for clear.Never mix them up.Just something I'm missing and hope to find it soon to finish this one only to start on the 35 Chevy I bought last year.