Replacing Bumpers

Hey all,

Family bought me new bumpers for my birthday, they arrived today. Question: When removing the bumpers it looks like the easiest way to do that is to unbolt the brackets from the frame. Is that the correct way?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front one canbe done without removing or even loosening the brackets, that is what I did on mine and didnt require any adjustment but I had totemove the rear one by removing brackets and all and it required a bit of adjustment to get it acceptable.

Rob

While the brackets are off, sand blast and paint them. This is a great way to get that snow ball rolling........

Bruce

When I replaced my rear bumper, I media blasted all the brackets and applied POR 15 to them. Did the same on back side of bumper to prevent rust from forming and encroaching onto chrome side.

When reinstalling bumper I recommend installing all brackets/braces onto bumper before installation. Tighten all brackets/braces to bumper (after) bumper is secured and aligned. The fender braces in particular are challenging if installing after affixing bumper. smile

Doug

Above sounds good.

I was lucky at the time I worked for DuPont automotive paint and got free IMRON, flattened it to a lower gloss level, after applying CORLAR primer. Today I would probably use a lower gloss Rust-oleum since I no longer work for (and they no longer exist) DuPont paint.

Bruce

Thanks everyone,

I was planning on having the parts media blasted and powder-coated. Does that sound good to you Bruce? I did that with some of my under the hood stuff already, and yes that snowball can form in 75 deg. California weather too.

IMG_9062_zps6ad6b339.jpg

Sure is! You never know how much someone can afford or how much experience they have.

Good time to take off that front bumper filler and paint it silver like it should be, just a thought to keep that snowball rollin wink

Sweet! That's one very clean Monte Patrick. Now would be a good time to address the little bit of surface rust in the rear with some POR 15 while the rear bumper is off.

Thanks, that was my plan, to address the rust that is. POR 15 is found where?

Good time to take off that front bumper filler and paint it silver like it should be, just a thought to keep that snowball rollin wink

I had no idea they were supposed to be silver, thank you. I guess when it was painted that was painted too. I don't remember the date, but the car was painted back when lacquer paint in CA. I'll get some silver, any suggestions on what kind of paint to use?

Gone that far, you may want to consider new body bushings, just ynbolt the body from the frame, lift the body enough to remove the old bushings, wire brush and clean and paint the frame while the body is in the air off the frame, after all, how long could it take

Rob

just a note, it wouldn't be a bad idea, since the body would be off the frame, to replace the brake lines, it would be an easier job with the body alresdy off.

Originally Posted By: CKZ03

I had no idea they were supposed to be silver, thank you. I guess when it was painted that was painted too. I don't remember the date, but the car was painted back when lacquer paint in CA. I'll get some silver, any suggestions on what kind of paint to use?

You could use anything from a high quality aerosol, just scuff and spray or you can go all out and base/clear it. Most of these I have seen that are still original don't really shine anymore and not sure if they ever did. Pretty sure the color should be argent silver. I did mine in base/clear with full gloss. It really doesn't matter much IMO, cause you can hardly see it once the bumper goes back on. I think the factory sprayed them silver to try and "hide" the filler.

IMG_20130608_234214_zps83336cb3.jpg

IMG_20130610_221500_zps08ba92b1.jpg

Gone that far, you may want to consider new body bushings, just ynbolt the body from the frame, lift the body enough to remove the old bushings, wire brush and clean and paint the frame while the body is in the air off the frame, after all, how long could it take

Rob

just a note, it wouldn't be a bad idea, since the body would be off the frame, to replace the brake lines, it would be an easier job with the body alresdy off.

Hey Rob,

How do I lift the body a short distance? I only have a floor jack. I would be nervous about bending something?

Rob

Hey Rob,

How do I lift the body a short distance? I only have a floor jack. I would be nervous about bending something?

I hate it when I do that, just a little forum spasm.

Look what a thread about changing bumpers is turning into... filler panels, brake lines, body mounts, etc. Pretty soon you'll have the body on a rotisserie. grin