Strip and refinish underside of car

Completely detrim entire car

Strip, do all body work and refinish exterior of car

Remove and replace/restore complete interior

Reassemble body

install all trim and moldings

Re install bumpers

Just that easy lol

And set a nearly impossable goal to have done before the eastren meeet, and complete it right Cory yay

So the correct answer to the original question would be

Remove bumpers

Remove front clip and all other sheet metal

Remove body from frame

Sandblast & refinish frame

Replace all bushings and suspension components

Rebuild entire drivetrain

Strip and refinish underside of car

Completely detrim entire car

Strip, do all body work and refinish exterior of car

Remove and replace/restore complete interior

Reassemble body

install all trim and moldings

Re install bumpers

Just that easy lol

That's how I did mine. But the order was mixed up a little and 23 years lapsed between a couple of those steps! And had a rush to be at an Eastern Meet. In fact I was still putting interior parts on at the Meet! lol

Here is a pick of body mounts replacement one side at a time with floor jacks.

DSCN3257.JPG

and like others have said... welcome to the snowball coffee2

Thanks that picture helps a lot. How about me laying on cold concrete with arthritis, anyone got some tips on that?

Patrick get you a piece of reflectex. It is bubble pack with aluminum foil on both sides. It is a great insulator and very thin. It is made about 2 miles from my house in Markleville IN. Most of the big box stores around here have it. The guy who invented lives also about 2 miles form my house and he sold the company and started another that make garages in sections and then erects them on your property. His new building is insulated completely with Reflectex and it is quite toasty inside in the winter.

Patrick get you a piece of reflectex. It is bubble pack with aluminum foil on both sides. It is a great insulator and very thin. It is made about 2 miles from my house in Markleville IN. Most of the big box stores around here have it. The guy who invented lives also about 2 miles form my house and he sold the company and started another that make garages in sections and then erects them on your property. His new building is insulated completely with Reflectex and it is quite toasty inside in the winter.

Thanks Larry! I see green and blue Monte's how about gray owners? Hey Scott do you know something I don't. I have three sons and two daughters, but no son-in-law? I took some Advil liquid and heading for the Jacuzzi.

Thanks Larry! I see green and blue Monte's how about gray owners? Hey Scott do you know something I don't. I have three sons and two daughters, but no son-in-law? I took some Advil liquid and heading for the Jacuzzi.

Well then you won't have so far to look! lol

I was kind of kidding with the arthritis comment, but thanks for all of the input. Sam thanks for the creeper picture, and Scott, I really don't have to look far my son who still lives in town is a manager of an O'Riely store to boot! And finally Scott Floyd warning received. It would be great to completely go through Monte, but maybe some day in the future. For now it is good enough for me. I really enjoy driving around in it, it is so comfy and rides so smooth. Oakland is not to far away, maybe we'll meet some day? Again thanks everyone!

Patrick as you have figured out, we have no problem spending others money,taking up years of time,busting your knuckles,and basically getting that snowball rolling here! kicking

It starts with asking about what to use to clean your windshield, next thing you know you have 3 rooms full of parts, a car off the frame, and no money!

I was kind of kidding with the arthritis comment, but thanks for all of the input. Sam thanks for the creeper picture, and Scott, I really don't have to look far my son who still lives in town is a manager of an O'Riely store to boot! And finally Scott Floyd warning received. It would be great to completely go through Monte, but maybe some day in the future. For now it is good enough for me. I really enjoy driving around in it, it is so comfy and rides so smooth. Oakland is not to far away, maybe we'll meet some day? Again thanks everyone!

That's a very clean looking Monte Patrick. A body off resto isn't needed anyway at this point I.M.O.....maybe a want for one day but not a need....same as mine. Just enjoy it the way it is in it's current beautiful condition. One day mine will come apart too but not for another 10 years at least. smile

Thanks Larry,

I agree, I've replaced everything that needed replacing to make it ride nice and stop! The only thing I really need is a Trans rebuild as the car was garaged for a very long time. I like the idea of a 200r to get overdrive for better mileage, but it is a matching numbers car so I'll most likely rebuild the TH350 and it will be good to go. Monte runs really well, compression is all good and doesn't seem to be going through oil at all. I do need to R & R the pan and stop a small bit of oil that drips from the rear of the pan, very minimal though.

Silver is absolutely correct and the way it came from the factory Patrick. smile I'm glad you found a good grille for it from Leo. He's a great source for parts. It's amazing how many parts he has stockpiled for these cars and he certainly knows his stuff. smile

Just to emphasis the ~Snow Ball~ effect my father had a worn out Cam in his 66 Elke and needs replaced. That was what we planned and not to big a deal right? To remove Cam, needed to either pull motor at least part way out or remove grill. Figured motor would come out and deal with the Cam that way! Of course couldn't ignore some other issues with the engine and went somewhat further than originally planned (to this point) anyway. Also as long as motor is out, lets clean up the engine bay and lightly freshen it. Well, lightly was a pipe dream and decided not good enough. I think we are 6 chassis mount bolts from removing the Cab and the Cam isn't even back in the engine yet! crazy This is where we are at today and I guess, this is what it takes to replace a Cam Shaft! eek

100_3900.jpg

If this ~Snow Ball~ effect continues on the Elke I wont get anything done to my Monte this year! cry

Doug