Replacing Bumpers

I painted mine the same argent silver as wheels.Already painted the panel still have to finish blasting wheels.To darn cold to do anything now

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I'm having second thoughts on changing the wiper blades...

Can't put new blades on an old windshield! Then while the glass is out, check for rust in the channel, that's the perfect time to replace the headliner and vinyl top, polish the moldings and well, you get the point lol

" well, you get the point" Get that snowball rollin rollin rollin get that snoball rollin Rawhide

Larry here we go again. We have not settled the Darrin Stevens issue and now you bring in Rawhide. My personal favorite is of course Clint Eastwood from the series and I've even managed to forgive him for driving a Grand Torino, I think Monte Carlo sounds so much better than Grand Torino. Hard to believe a snowball can form in 80 degree temperatures, yet here it is!

By the way I'm leaning toward Dick Sargent over Dick York. I never thought about this before but apparently in Hollywood you need to be a Dick to marry a witch? Have a great day!

Hey bumper experts. I remember Sam's comment about the bumpers needin some lovin, well I put them in place got it to where I thought it was good, pulled it again and then tightened the brackets to the bumper and then put it back on, then tightened up the brackets to the frame and it is about an 1/8" off? How do I love this into place? Hey Leo! A little help here from the expert. Thanks in advance crazy

WP_20140128_004_zpsc2ff1a1e.jpg

As you can see it is about 1/8" down on the left.

I do not have a secret as to how to fix it other than mine was further off than that and I just kept loosening stuff and adjusting till I got it closer. Mine is far from perfect.

2fe3.jpg

Your not alone Patrick, it's the little stuff like that that drives me crazy! Anyway, I had the similar problem, plus I wanted to get the bumper tucked in close to the body. I slightly elongated the mounting holes on the brackets to help tuck it in close and as far as correct height, I added a thick washer or 2 to lower the bumper mount to the frame on the right side so it matched up with the left side.............Good Luck!

bumperseem_zps36e0e90c.jpg

Tucked in nice and Tight!

Thanks Bill and Murray, yours look great to me. I put my back out again so I have to wait to get under Monte again, on top of that the powder coaters sent my hood latch support to another client in another city, so I hope they can find it or they will be replacing it. I know I can get it closer, when I first installed it, the bumper was further off. I just have to take it easy with my back. Thanks again!

Murphy, In the last picture you posted the color of your car really popped! Have you had the car repainted? It looks great, Post some complete pictures, Car is way to nice for partial pictures! Thanks in advance.

Thanks Mike, it's been buffed but its a 16+yr old paint job, original Burnt Orange, I think the credit goes to the camera I was using that day........I'll check for other pics. THX!

Pat , 1/8 is well within original tolerance , you can adjust and play with the entire car for days months and years , body gaps are needed for road use , these are not models that sit on a shelf ,well i guess some are , i would suggest a massive power slide to the left while burning both tires , should put that bumper right in place J/K maybe

Leo

Pat , 1/8 is well within original tolerance , you can adjust and play with the entire car for days months and years , body gaps are needed for road use , these are not models that sit on a shelf ,well i guess some are , i would suggest a massive power slide to the left while burning both tires , should put that bumper right in place J/K maybe

Leo

Thanks as always Leo. Now you know how hard my wife and children have had it living with me. The power slide sounds like more fun too. The original rear bumper was hit by a Ford F250 while in the garage. The brother of the original owner. You can see the bend in the bumper in my old pictures. That may explain some of the difficulty in getting it just so. Anyway the new bumper looks good.

As far as bumper guards goes, I don't know about those, my Monte never had them.

I've put guards on repro bumpers, and the front fit well. The rear fit was good, but not quite as nice as on an original bumper. The curves aren't an exact match, but it can depend on the brand of bumper you're using. There's more than one manufacturer.

Dan

The bumper I got the whole rear guard sits up a 1/4" from the bumper.The tip and bottom of guard is the only thing that touch.May have to send org bumper to somebody else to replate.The shop that did the frt said they could not get it smooth enough to plate where they tried to fix rusted hole below the bumper bolt on pass side