My 72 Frame off

Racerhed

I'm a newbie to this forum. First of all, thanks a bunch for accepting my application and approving me for the forums. I'm going to try to post some pics of my 72 as it progresses. It started on Oct 17th and didn't do much of anything else for about ten weeks (Other than work)

Enjoy:

I bought the car in January 2013. One year ago today.

monteCarlo-1.jpg

Then I bought a lift:

lift02.jpg

I tinkered with it and drove it all summer and on Oct 17 2013 My buddy Darrell and I began.

IMG_20131020_125317_438.jpg

IMG_20131021_113337_740.jpg

I saw an episode of Muscle Car on PowerBlock TV and got some ideas.

IMG_20131029_185444_511.jpg

IMG_20131112_204531_717.jpg

IMG_20131114_210204_087.jpg

IMG_20131117_220049_170.jpg

IMG_20131130_210119_163.jpg

IMG_20131202_150845_793.jpg

Wow, you do it to the extreme and beyond... cool

I checked out all your pictures after clicking on a photo, very impressive. I also came across pictures of a person racing on a bike, is that you?

Yup, I coach track days and road racing. I'm a car guy, always have been. 6 years ago I thought I'd buy a bike and try my hand at that crazy stuff. I got fairly decent, but there are a lot of guys I coach that have gone on to race and are pretty fast. My mid life crisis is over and I'm more sane than I have been in a while so I sold my street bikes. I kept the track bike so I can get the speed monkey off my back once in a while. I'm going back to cars for R&R though.

Yup, I coach track days and road racing.

Bill, I'm not too far away from you. Ashland, OH

Cool.

Good ole Ashland...a couple of my friends went to college down there and I would visit them every other week for some partying back in the mid 80's... 2beers

I go to the "Kamikaze Jump" biker thingy in Ashland every year, have you ever heard of that event?

The background on the car that I know is as follows: I bought it from a gentleman in Sidney, OH. He told me be bought it from his brother who lives in Lima. When I took it apart the frame was packed with good ole southern red dirt. The body is originally Midnight Bronze Metallic and it was a 350/350 car. It has a 72 specific 402. It has a TH400 and a 12 bolt. It has been restored in the past. My paint and body guy says it has the original paint and 2 repaints. The fenders, hood and right door are not original. Because of that I'm going to have Chad spray it with Mojave Gold.

The suspension is UMI and I chose the 1/2 inch taller NASCAR joints on the uppers in the front. I installed a steering box for an 88 SS Monte. The frame mods were inspired by the G Machine the PowerBlock boys built earlier this fall. EVERYTHING on the chassis is new. I converted the rear end to discs.

I have a Gen V 454 that is punched .030 over and I had Brewster Machine work the crank over. The engine build is going to take until next winter since my wife said I have to take her on a cruise LOL...

More later

With all the chassis work you have done I am sure there will be considerable suspension goodies in the plan for this one. Really nice work. Keep us informed on the progress. Nice to see another contender Monte in the works.

Welcome!

Dan

The "loop" is not as close as it looks. It is just above the height of the yoke on the rear. < 1 inch...

Again, I want to thank all of you for the compliments. This whole thing started when I decided to replace the body bushings. I thought "why not clean up the frame and seal it up?" Then it kinda snowballed from there. If I can get it to launch straight and go around a road course with decent results I'll be happy. My goal perhaps foolishly was to stiffen it up substantially w/o tying it together with a roll bar.

I plan to run some 30cc domed pistons and a set of open chamber 118cc oval ports. The ultimate goal is to have a torque monster that will pull it through corners and from light to light with a fair amount of aplomb. Naturally I'd like a respectable time in the 1/4, but If you link to my Photo Bucket page you will see I matriculated to road racing from drag racing therefore torque for exiting corners and good solid launches are my priority. I never knew turns could be so much damn fun!!!!