Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Sign in to follow this  
SxFxZ

Hello from Rochester, NY

Hello everybody, my name is Todd and a few months ago I picked up a pretty solid 1970 Monte Carlo. Originally came with a 350 and PowerGlide and no air but now has a 454 and TH400. Car is pretty solid but the snowball effect has taken over and she's getting a freshening up so I can drive it for a while before a full restoration. Previous owner had original 350 but it's heavily modified and PG is gone. So my plan with it now is to put my old 785hp 496 in it eventually on E85, TH400, original rear end, and keep the rest of the car original.

Here's some pictures...

PS looking for a correct saddle wood steering wheel if somebody has one...

Day I test drove it:

364014D5-E1AD-4E14-A593-5CA978B75553.jpg

Original bill of sale:

A7643942-E215-47A8-B1E4-B8E3D855F82D.jpg

Build sheet:

C77AF27D-D904-483D-B1F0-9D6856E40B2F.jpg

Shipping paper?:

CC13ACA5-1091-4925-AE6F-C616C005435A.jpg

Engine:

43B45B34-E0B0-4B31-ABB6-80E40C5A43EB.jpg

And the tear down begins:

D12493FD-B5FD-4363-BD9F-DAD8D267E8BE.jpg

Motor and tranny pulled:

C5B6CE6D-D6F7-4C95-98A4-1A2D2498281B.jpg

Interior:

FFADEB3F-4E51-47A2-A698-4CA9DF8E0BB5.jpg

Gutted:

EA272464-B953-49ED-8A05-83636EFC511C.jpg

2ADDED96-CFE8-4C56-8918-CC38DE4D869D.jpg

993E2638-3D89-4FAA-941D-78E1F2FB33FB.jpg

New patch for under rear seats:

98199815-6B8F-4AC6-9EDF-4FD76B45B133.jpg

Some blasting/cancer removing:

7F83D466-DB0B-463C-944A-1BC4C8388236.jpg

D0130643-3E12-49BC-BD68-D0C9AC08A7C2.png

1F994E9E-6515-4DBC-911E-FFA74F0D7688.jpg

9466BC07-16AF-46F8-99C0-4C54D8BA83F9.jpg

D90D1CE1-72CF-4E1D-B9F5-19325AAB9D9A.jpg

The whole inside of the car is getting blasted then expoxy primed then I'm pretty much putting in a whole new interior minus seats and door panels for now.

That's about it for now, hope to learn a lot about this platform, I owned a 1978 Monte drag car but always wanted a first gen, accidentally walled my last car so I figured I'd slow my roll for a while and get my dream street car. smile

How funny - I just joined as well. My name is Todd and I also live in Rochester. Don't have any pics of my car just yet. But, I will get some on here soon. Welcome.

Looks like you're already underway on your car...

We'll have to hook up this summer some time. Ever hit the log cabin cruise night?

welcome Todd(s) to the FGMCC. You guys sure your not clones? kicking Pretty coincidental for sure. One of you are going to need a nick name for us to keep track! grin

A lot of knowledgeable members here and are eager to help with your questions. Couldn't find a nicer group of people to be associated with. cool

Doug

Welcome! Good to see you on the message board Todd. smile

Nice looking car. Your interior colour is Sandalwood, same as my 70. The steering wheel you have is the optional sport wheel for 71/72. Here's the stock wheel for your car:

Dash2.jpg

I see your car was also the small radiator car from the factory like my 70. They were only on 350 non-AC cars which is not very common. Someone has put in a larger radiator which clearly your car will need with the big engine.

welcome aboard thats two guys from right up the road, I also sent a birthday message to Brad today another Rochester guy. Hes got the orange one with the black stripes maybe youve seen it around. Dont forget Syracuse nationals in July woo hoo yay I'll be there.

Got some work done today. Got kick panel vents removed and the drivers side was PACKED with smelly crap. The passanger side was surprisingly empty.

Question: Does the wire harness along the floor disconnect on both ends with plugs? And what about the dome lamp wires?

Now I just have to bag off the dash and it's off to get sand blasted and painted:

DB69477F-FF8C-465B-ACA6-5CEB7701A286.jpg

Drivers side kick vent had so much of this and insulation in it.

A284C309-A430-4A52-B326-7E8AF3CAF525.jpg

This hole is bigger than I thought. frown

927AD39F-B494-4FF9-8F08-D721FF760A52.jpg

there is a plug under the dash and one in the trunk for that wiring, the dome light wires plug in the trunk too

Todd Squared! Looks like you aren't waisting any time, good for you and keep the pics coming.

Mike

Welcome Todd's. We should meet up some time, I'm in Rochester NY too! That's crazy. Where in Rochester are you both? Also first Todd, do you still need door panels and what color were you wanting? I've got a black set of 70's

Wow, All these members from Rochester!! I joined a few years ago. But this past spring I bought my second first generation. A 1971 triple black SS. I am in Webster outside of Rochester. So much for having the only Monte at cruise night!!!! Welcome guys!

Welcome to the Madness!! That's 2 more for upstate New York. Steve,If we all pull into the Natl's in Syracuse on the first day they will think it's our Eastern Meet!! I'm just an hour and half south of Rochester (Corning, N.Y.).You guys ever get to Leicester(Empire International Dragway)? I will be going up there to help my friend get his truck ready for this years Hot rod Drag Week. Glad you 2 made the "right choice" FGMCC! .Gonna have to get some nicknames ,we already have 2 Carl Hanson's,but there from 2 different states.

Hey Todd welcome to the club……. Lots of knowledge here to help you out just ask away…. which brings me to … Sam is correct they do disconect at both ends , the one disconnect is above the Fuse block in a flat wide plug and runs up the right side of the Fuse Block and the rear does undo and is sort of hidden up into the drivers underside area in the trunk where the lid meets the run off panel from the 1/4. and just right where the kidney brace is for the trunk lid springs is the Dome light wire plug in …Orange and white in a 2 pin plug. If you have rear defrost the disconect which runs in that same harness is behind the back seat in the trunk area and is Purple in color and is the same at the front half by the fuse box and runs to the dash switch along with a Pink wire as well….. if there is a single Black and Orange mix single plug that sticks out of the sleeve under the drivers seat area that would be for a power bucket or bench seat……

Darren.

Welcome to the Madness!! That's 2 more for upstate New York. Steve,If we all pull into the Natl's in Syracuse on the first day they will think it's our Eastern Meet!! I'm just an hour and half south of Rochester (Corning, N.Y.).You guys ever get to Leicester(Empire International Dragway)? I will be going up there to help my friend get his truck ready for this years Hot rod Drag Week. Glad you 2 made the "right choice" FGMCC! .Gonna have to get some nicknames ,we already have 2 Carl Hanson's,but there from 2 different states.

I've been going to Empire dragway for years now.

Wow, All these members from Rochester!! I joined a few years ago. But this past spring I bought my second first generation. A 1971 triple black SS. I am in Webster outside of Rochester. So much for having the only Monte at cruise night!!!! Welcome guys!

If I ever get my car done we should do a cruise night.

I used to race this at Empire until I walled it down in Maple Grove. lol

2B933657-41B2-48CB-89EC-2A5DFFE8F7A9.jpg

Small update. Found some mint stock valve covers for free ninty nine so I stripped the engines junk paint and repainted it. Found a oem dual snorkel air filter that I'm going to blast and repaint today. Not sure what it's originally off of though, anybody? Hopefully more will get done this weekend. Headers will be painted black.

69D128E0-D6F8-448F-8700-7C11F0BCB707.jpg

19C941F0-851A-44D2-95D6-3783CFD00FBB.jpg

876FB5EB-69B1-4207-887E-E5FEF1A8E73B.jpg