First gen parts suppliers

V8Freak

So I have ok order another few thousand with of parts yay lol. I've been using opgi, their super easy too deal with even got a few freebies. So I now have too order a lot more stuff lol but I've heard some negative things about opgi but never heard of any reasoning behind it.

Id love too hear people's thoughts on them and suggestions for other suppliers that have the massive selection like opgi has

No issues with opgi. Had a loooooong backorder item that nobody was carrying, couldn't get it anywhere. About 18 months after I initially tried to order the item, they called and asked if I was still interested (they didn't charge my card) When I said I was they shipped me the parts. Hard to beat that from a customer service standpoint.

I try to deal with smaller outfits, luckily there is a place about an hour from me that can get me what I want, no freight, and cheaper than anywhere, and great people to deal with. They are like me and you, they are car people there self, restore cars, and sell/distribute new parts.

I've heard some negative things about opgi but never heard of any reasoning behind it.

Id love too hear people's thoughts on them

Okay ... from personal experience (some very recent) ... they advertise a broad array of "high quality" products. I purchased a hood blanket that was "high quality", everything else I've purchased from them has been off-spec or marginal quality. I provided objective feedback regarding misleading statements and out-right errors in their on-line catalog and also described how two of their "high quality" products were actually off-spec (trying to help them avoid other complaints) only to have their "sales manager" come on the line and tell me they didn't want my business anymore. He later called back to say my evaluation of the off-spec products was correct and apologized, but the impression was made.

I've always had to wait at least a week, usually longer, for anything to arrive (CA to FL) even when it's not backordered. On January 19 I ordered new "woodgrain" console inserts for my 4-speed car from Classic Muscle Restorations. Ten days later, I had not received any shipping notice so I called them. They explained that they were "waiting for the item to arrive from their supplier in CA". Turned out that OPGI was their supplier as the item was in OPGI packaging with their name also on the instruction sheet. I purchased the exact 3M Emblem Adhesive they recommended only to discover that their gluing instructions were for contact cement, not 3M adhesive. Of course the thin aluminum inserts were mailed in a simple padded envelop and had been bent by the USPS. Even if they had been packaged securely, the woodgrain vinyl covering looked like it had be cut out and glued on by a first grader. After straightening both inserts the best I could, I had to touch up all the bare aluminum edges with brown paint to make it look half way decent. "High quality" ... seriously?

They also tend to be higher priced on nearly everything ... which would be understandable if they shipped quality products on time and backed them up with great customer service. Somehow, I think they are still working on most of that ... frown

I haven't had any real problems with OPGI, but I have not ordered much from them. I did receive a trim piece that was damaged and still need to send it back. Please check out Konik's Klassiks, Leo is a member and has always had any part I've needed. http://koniksklassiks.com/

Originally Posted By: lowryder
I've heard some negative things about opgi but never heard of any reasoning behind it.

Id love too hear people's thoughts on them

Okay ... from personal experience (some very recent) ... they advertise a broad array of "high quality" products. I purchased a hood blanket that was "high quality", everything else I've purchased from them has been off-spec or marginal quality. I provided objective feedback regarding misleading statements and out-right errors in their on-line catalog and also described how two of their "high quality" products were actually off-spec (trying to help them avoid other complaints) only to have their "sales manager" come on the line and tell me they didn't want my business anymore. He later called back to say my evaluation of the off-spec products was correct and apologized, but the impression was made.

I've always had to wait at least a week, usually longer, for anything to arrive (CA to FL) even when it's not backordered. On January 19 I ordered new "woodgrain" console inserts for my 4-speed car from Classic Muscle Restorations. Ten days later, I had not received any shipping notice so I called them. They explained that they were "waiting for the item to arrive from their supplier in CA". Turned out that OPGI was their supplier as the item was in OPGI packaging with their name also on the instruction sheet. I purchased the exact 3M Emblem Adhesive they recommended only to discover that their gluing instructions were for contact cement, not 3M adhesive. Of course the thin aluminum inserts were mailed in a simple padded envelop and had been bent by the USPS. Even if they had been packaged securely, the woodgrain vinyl covering looked like it had be cut out and glued on by a first grader. After straightening both inserts the best I could, I had to touch up all the bare aluminum edges with brown paint to make it look half way decent. "High quality" ... seriously?

They also tend to be higher priced on nearly everything ... which would be understandable if they shipped quality products on time and backed them up with great customer service. Somehow, I think they are still working on most of that ... frown

Talking about fitment I just tried installing the z bar kit I bought from them and the bracket for the z bar is nowhere close too being right fml never ending with me and this car

they probably sent you a chevelle bracket

monte brackets are available, I forget where I got mine

I feel like that's what had happened, I rechecked the monte catalog from them and it is the same bracket but maybe they think it can be used on both cars...

I'm going too call koniks klassiks since he's a member maybe he will be of some help

I enjoy looking through their catalogs, but my last experience wasn't all to good. I ordered a fuel pump to carb steel fuel line (prebent)that was supposed to fit. Tried installing it and it was way to long and the bends were way off so I was unable to use it.and there was no way to snake it in behind the alternator.I called customer service and the guy says "well if you got extra tubing why not wrap it around the rear bumper first" funny indeed but not when your car is disabled. They were very good on the return policy however and wanted to do whatever they could to replace it. My buddy had a custom bender so we made our own instead

I'm going too call koniks klassiks since he's a member maybe he will be of some help

Leo knows montes better than anybody....hands down!

one of our suppliers is going out of business, they had it, just can't remember who???

I seem to have issues with almost every supplier I try and use. Something missing something to long, too short. I just can't catch a break. I bought the Chevelle SS steering wheel and the damn hub doesn't fit right. It barely makes contact with the splines on the shaft. So now I sent it out to a machine shop to hopefully make it fit correctly.

I measured the steering column shaft and it is 1 3/4 long and the hub the supplier sent me was 2 1/2" tall and contacted maybe 1/4 of the spline. I need to take off at least 1/4" off the base. Or buy one of the Internet that is 1 13/16" like it's supposed to be. I bought it off high tech classics. And when I compared it to the one at OPGI it was totally different in size and appearance.

I measured the steering column shaft and it is 1 3/4 long and the hub the supplier sent me was 2 1/2" tall and contacted maybe 1/4 of the spline. I need to take off at least 1/4" off the base. Or buy one of the Internet that is 1 13/16" like it's supposed to be. I bought it off high tech classics. And when I compared it to the one at OPGI it was totally different in size and appearance.

send it back, I got mine from ground up http://www.ss396.com/chevelle/IXS-69T.html