1972 Monte Powder Coating Rims- Argent Silver???

dirtmod29

Hey I have a 1972 Monte Carlo and want to powder coat the rims.Were the original rims all argent silver or argent silver and black???Has anybody had any luck powder coating their rims???Any in argent silver???Any help would appreciated- Thank you

I believe all of them came originally in argent silver. Powder coating the rally wheels is the best way to go in my opinion but it is $500 a set up here so I haven't had mine done yet. They are also still in pretty good shape but it is on my to-do list.

Hi Paul,

I just had my bumper filler powder coated argent silver and it came out really nice. I think the wheels are the same color but I'm not positive. Having the rims media blasted and powder coated is a good way to go. Anyway went out into the garage and took a picture with the bumper filler next to my wheels which are original. Looks right to me?

WP_20140216_001_zps5c30009a.jpg

Good Evening Paul and first of all, welcome to the Frst Generation Monte Carlo Club web site. We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a dues paying member of the club.

I dont think you can go wrong with the powder coating.

Rob

Hey I have a 1972 Monte Carlo and want to powder coat the rims.Were the original rims all argent silver or argent silver and black???Has anybody had any luck powder coating their rims???Any in argent silver???Any help would appreciated- Thank you

Welcome. If you have rally wheels they were argent. If you have regular plain wheels with hub caps they were black.

I don't know if it has been 100% verified but I thought I recalled hearing that the assembly line Rally's were argent silver on the front and a gray/green solid color on the back side while the "over the counter" rally's were argent silver on the front and black on the backside. Mine are factory wheels and are argent silver and gray/green.

The original rallyes I have seen were Argent with a grey backing. I have found that the "Dove Grey" matches originals almost perfectly. They painted the back first then the silver. The originals I have seen had the silver "overspray" on the grey from the slots.

Now that could possibly be different by plant.

The original rallyes I have seen were Argent with a grey backing. I have found that the "Dove Grey" matches originals almost perfectly. They painted the back first then the silver. The originals I have seen had the silver "overspray" on the grey from the slots.

Now that could possibly be different by plant.