pulling frame

monte0

I'm going to pull the frame on my 70, should be fun smirk

Going to have some work done to it to strengthen the rear control arm mounts and have it sandblasted/ painted while it's out. I'm going to try to do it without pulling thew nose off by building a wooden structure to hold the hose. Anyone ever do this or try this?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would take the time to remove the front clip. There are only a couple bolts that hold the fenders to the cowl area and I'd be worried about it flexing and chipping the paint.

It may be warming up but sounds like a snowball is forming. grin

I would think removing the front clip would be easier than building a box to support it. Good luck and dont forget the pictures especially if you build that soap box derby box!!

Rob

If you remove the front end be sure to bag all the bolts and label them and put them away some where they wont get messed with or lost. grin

removing the front clip will be easier than building something to stand it on. its only 2 bolts holding it to the frame and you dont even have to remove the radiator....

if your frame is damaged, you can buy a frame for about $500 before you waste a bunch of time trying to repair yours

Not bad damage, my neighbor welds good so when I pull it he's going to fix the upper mount (only 1/4 ripped) and weld corner braces to strengthen it. But chance I am curious though, where are you finding a frame for $500?

If you remove the front end be sure to bag all the bolts and label them and put them away some where they wont get messed with or lost. grin

Yep, I actually marked every nut and bolt last time when it was repainted so I thinking the mark might be on them still. Makes life easier definitly

Must of been meant to be, I looked for a frame tonight and found one about 6 hours from me in great shape. Its all paint mostly (except inside frame holes) and straight as a arrow, had the guy measure it in a few different places. I purchased it but transporting it is the problem I've got to figure out now. I'm in upstate NY and it's in NYC long island area. Guys have any ideas how to get it back lol. I don't have a truck only a caravan

If you have a hitch on the Caravan, just rent an open u haul trailer. Just check and make sure you don't overhang off the back of the trailer more than the New York State laws allow. The frame weighs a couple of hundred pounds and two guys can carry it.

Otherwise, call the Shipping Wars people. smile

what would it cost to rent a box truck, or a pick up and trailer? Have you tried to contact a towing service with a flat bed?

If you have a friend with a truck or some other vehicle that can tow, make arrangements with U-haul or some other rental company to have an aluminum trailer near where the frame is and go and get it. A rental like this is much cheaper than a freight company would be.

u-haul or even home depot rents trailers now.just put 2 4x4's across the trailer put the frame on top of the 4x4's and ratchet them down ...making sure the 4x4's dont exceed 102" wide...by far the cheapest and easiest...I drove 600 miles to get my car in one day with a u-haul

U Haul is the only one that allows towing. The rest of them will not allow you to tow bc their ins does nit cover it. I just rented a uhaul pickup for four days for Carlisle gor about $400. It was less to pay 4 days and get unlimited mileage than pay for three days w/mileage. They have trailers too.

Dan

I would check into U-Haul also. To make it cheaper have a friend ride with you and rent a truck there. He can also help you load it. The frame is 15' 9" so make sure you get a truck or trailer it will fit in.

what would it cost to rent a box truck, or a pick up and trailer? Have you tried to contact a towing service with a flat bed?

Box truck I'm looking at around $850 with mileage for a uhaul not including gas

If you have a friend with a truck or some other vehicle that can tow, make arrangements with U-haul or some other rental company to have an aluminum trailer near where the frame is and go and get it. A rental like this is much cheaper than a freight company would be.

I checked the tow hitch on my caravan and it's meant only for a utility trailer. It's one of those flat hitches. And it's not even setup for trailer lights either..lol