pulling frame

monte0

Biggest thing I heard from a few people that have been though NYC is that I can't have the frame hanging off more then a few feet most. If I get a uhaul utility trailer it's only 9ft so it would be hanging off pretty far. I could rent a car hauler trailer (flat style with all four wheels being in the air) but my caravan isn't rated for the weight. I've been trying to find a friend with a small truck but none of them want to make the drive or let me barrow there truck

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was considering having a frame shipped all the way from California to here in Ontario Canada by a transport company, I was quoted $600. If you shop around, you should be able to find a better deal. Find a transport trailer size shipper that regularly travels around New York State and have them quote it. smile

Just tried Uship today, well see if anything pops up. Did find a alternative today that might pan out. My work needs to pickup a shipment in Massachusetts. I asked if I go get the shipment could I stop down in NYC with the company van to grab the frame. They said maybe..so we will see

Ended up finding a pretty good deal..well best I could find. $325 shipped to my door isn't too bad I'd say, considering I got quotes from $800-2100 from various places.

Take the $325 shipped to your door. Even if You found a friend with truck and trailer and paid for gas.

350 miles each way at roughly 12 mpg towing will use 58 gallons of fuel. At a avg cost of $3.89/gallon just the fuel cost is $227.

This doesn't include a meal for two each way and anything else you may purchase when you get there. Plus 12 hours out of your life. LOL

$325 to your door is my vote!

Ok, so whats the best body mount kits available for our cars? I have a OPGI body mount kit from 11-12 years ago and there totally shot and cracked bad so I'm hesitant to get their set again.

Well did some work to the frame, glad my work was able to let me work on it over at the shop! Hoping to scuff it up and paint it next week.

WP_20140325_14_58_17_Pro1_zpsfb24b395.jp

I worked on the car today and completely stripped the font end of everything on the frame except the front bumper assembly (need a hand to pull it off). Going to order new fuel/brake lines while its apart plus ordered some body bushings from Leo too. One issue I noticed is the front lower control arm round bushings were not right. The steel insert would just fall right out of the rubber itself. It's not supposed to do that. These were new poly PST bushings about 10 years ago and there's no cracking, just this issue which also is making squeaking noises on my front end... frown

I pulled my frame in a 2 car garage that needed a clean bay to pull another vehicle in when I was done everyday. I have some pictures on how I supported the body I can post for you when I get home.

I'm sure there's several others here with first hand knowledge that will gladly help you with questions etc re. a frame swap. How are you planning on lifting the body up?

I plan on jacking it one side at a time on the frame and walking it side to side slowly. Once at the height I want I'll jack stand the outer pinch welds with 6 stands, but that's where I'm a little worried. I'm going to put rags on the welds and I was thinking of taking 4x4's and cutting a notch into them so I don't damage the welds. Does that sound ok?

I pulled my frame in a 2 car garage that needed a clean bay to pull another vehicle in when I was done everyday. I have some pictures on how I supported the body I can post for you when I get home.

That would be great if you could. I have a very small 2 car, basically not enough room for any other cars with monte in there if that gives you an idea.

This gives you a little better idea as to how I did mine.

I screwed 2 2x4's together for both beams. I jacked the body up on the reinforcements underneath. I had to use blocks of wood to get the body high enough. I lifted the front some, then the back. Kept going back and forth to keep the body level. When I set the body down I put small pieces of wood on the reinforcements and set those onto the beams.

cc93c6a9-b70e-4af9-b08e-4172f5cb8cf9_zps

I added casters to the frame so I could roll it in and out of the garage.

IMG_0103.jpg

Just take your time and double check what you are doing.