Painting stainless trim?

overdrive

I've completed repairing and polishing all of the stainless trim for our SS and I want to repaint the portion of the vinyl top trim, like they came from the factory. I didn't take the time and trouble to do the repaint step on our '71, but I will with this car. This seems to be one of the few jobs on our cars that rarely, if ever, gets talked about here.

Yesterday, I did a little experimenting with the paint process. I used wax and grease remover, then wet sanded the area that needs to be painted with 400. I tried to tape off the area with fine line 3M tape, but it didn't stick well enough. I then tried green masking tape. Trying to apply the edge of the tape correctly is difficult to get a nice look and the factory edge on the masking tape is a little bit rough. I then tried taping past the paint edge and then cutting off the excess with a razor blade. That seems to be the answer.

I screwed a couple of the plastic trim clips to the lower edge of a 2x4, to make it possible to get good paint access to the edge of the trim, and snapped the trim on. To keep the paint from trying to creep up under the edge of the tape, I screwed the 2x4 horizontally, with the tape at the top, to a piece of plywood that was standing on edge. The first time I shot some paint, I let the paint dry before removing the tape. The paint stuck to the tape in a few places and lifted to leave a jagged edge. I wiped it off with lacquer thinner and decided to pull the tape while the paint was still wet. I realized I would have to paint with one coat to do it this way. I think this is going to work out well, but I need to get some paint. I'll be using satin black, but I'm not sure what type of paint will stick best and last a long time.

Have any of you done this with good success? Any tips would be appreciated.

Dan

I used Dupli-Color engine paint in satin black on the lower trim pieces when I redid those. It doesn't seem be as thick as some other paints I tried and didn't peel with a jagged edge at the tape line. Plus it dried very fast. My vinyl top trim I removed all the paint and left it at that. But then again I'm a little past the stock look! lol

Sem Trim Black is a very god product. The spray can part number is 39143 and you can buy it by the quart part number 39144. I have used it in the past when I redid both of my daughters cars and it held up well.

• 1 month later...

I used wide pinstripe to tape off the edge,then a wider masking tape for the rest of the trim. painted it with low gloss black VHT paint. no problems,just spray light coats 'til it looks the way you want it. been on it since '06.

Your process is fine but try this - scuff or lightly sand area to be painted, clean trim thoroughly with wax & grease remover, apply tape (fine line works well), spray an adhesion promoter such as SEM XXX following the instructions carefully, then apply SEM trim paint available in many colors. Apply several light coats being sure not to put on too "wet" that tends to cause creeping of paint possibly under tape and builds up excessive paint film which will "bridge" over your tape potentially causing jagged edge when removing tape. Apply only enough paint to achieve coverage/hiding. With the adhesion promoter this should cure any jagged edge issues. Both SEM products are available in aerosol cans.