SS Exhaust tips

7tonemonte

I've had a set of SS tips for a couple years that Alli got me. I wanted to put them on the Monte, problem is they ar 2 1/2" and so are the Flowmaster pipes on my car. Anyone use a tailpipe expander on the chrome tips or would I be better off doing it to the pipes?

Any of the expanders they sell any better than another or should I just borrow one from AutoZone?

Yes, some are better than others and some even advertise them as an expander when in reality they are only capable of rounding out old clamp gooves or oval pipes.

This is not an expander...

oes-27027_ml.jpg

This is...

LIL-34400_ml.jpg

I have tried the one in the first picture and it would not expand...eventually broke trying it. The second I also own, it is made by Lisle and is extremely heavy duty and works great. You use it with an impact gun.

Typically you would open up the tip so the exhaust flows freely without hitting an inner edge but in your case those tips are chrome plates and I would think the chrome would crack. With yours I would expand the exhaust...but now you would be covering some of the chrome and losing a little bit of the look.

Either way if you end up using clamps and not welding I would use band clamps and put the clamp part on top...now if you use those u-bolt type make sure you put the nuts on top and cut off any excess thread (pet peeve of mine).

Kind of want to weld it, if not it would be band clamped. I agree Bill, don't like to see stuff hanging off either. I know it's supposed to flow freely through but like you said I was worried about cracking the chrome, but I guess if I'm welding that it's not going to much matter

You could also use a butt joint stainless band clamp. You might have to cut back on your exhaust pipe as it would probably be sticking out too far.

sum-692200_w_ml.jpg

I am going to have to cut the pipes back anyway Bill, I like that clamp idea as my welding skills have dropped off since I rarely get a chance to play with a welder

You could also use a butt joint stainless band clamp. You might have to cut back on your exhaust pipe as it would probably be sticking out too far.

sum-692200_w_ml.jpg

I really lik Bills suggestion of the Butt Clamp. No welding and it is its own clamp plus looks to be tke easiest fix.

Rob

Depending on your ss tips tony u might have slots already in them. I know the ss tips I put on my had the slots and where designed to work with 2.5" exhaust but the could be the difference between factory style tips( part number stamped on them) and the aftermarket ones.

I know they were a gift but maybe you can sell the 2" to someone with stoch exhaust. There is a place here on Long Island that reproduces them in 2.5" & 3"

Got a set of 3" orig looking SS tips for mine.

He sells under noahperformance on ebay. Think they were only $40.

Just do advanced search on eBay under seller ID above.

Website. www.newyorkrestomod.com

Dan