Windows XP

70 Iron

Just curious if anyone is still using XP ,as most know on April 8th windows will no longer be supporting the XP,(updates ect) also alot of Anti Virus providers will not be suppoprting them as well.

I'll have to upgrade my XP and I'm wondering about Windows 7 or is it 7.1 confused very soon. Any body have 7 and how do you like it ? My Grandson has the program and will install so I'm curious if there is any neg opinions if you have it.

Windows XP has been great for all I use the pc ,they just can't leave well enough alone.

They say that the Hackers are all ready to feast on us after the 8th if we don't change. You can google Windows XP if you want more info.

Thanks,

Terry

Yikes!

Probably why my computers at my house are a mess with virus's and don't like to run anymore

Most of what I do here on the boards is done through apple products now.

I was looking into getting a new laptop, maybe just go Mac on that too now

TO be honest, Windows 8 is totally different than XP, Vista and 7 as I am testing Win8 at work, it took me a while to get used to it. For technology challenge folks, recommend to use Windows 7 but not sure if can purchase Win7 at all now.

Rick

Good grief, Terry, do you mean you have not yet experienced the joys of Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1??!!

If your grandson can move you onto Windows 7, that is probably your easiest and least expensive upgrade ... for now (assuming your computer has the speed and capacity to run Windows 7, which it may not). Unfortunately, Window 7 is already a generation and a half behind and support for it will end sooner than later, also. Another alternative is to move directly to 8.1 and avoid the learning curve on all the others in between. That's the good news ...

The bad news is that Window 8.0 and 8.1 are a completely different interface, intended to support touch screen computers. It was like learning a foreign language for me (and I worked for IBM for 30 years!). In addition, I've heard quite a few horror stories about the 8.1 version and that's why I will stay on 8.0 until they fix more of the bugs in 8.1.

And, of course, if you are running any Microsoft apps like the Office Suite, you will need new versions of those also. There is no standing still in the technology game and all the major vendors force their customers to upgrade sooner or later by simply dropping support of the earlier generations, as you are currently experiencing.

If you already need a faster and larger capacity computer and are not real computer savvy, I suggest you consider buying a complete new system of hardware, operating system and application software from a company that will sell, install, set up and support everything on an annual contract basis. I have had pretty good luck with Best Buy and their Geek Squad service contracts, but there are probably other good sources as well. My annual contracts are honored whether I am in MN or FL.

Any way you cut it, you may be facing a significant expenditure and a major new learning curve. Good luck!

TO be honest, Windows 8 is totally different than XP, Vista and 7 as I am testing Win8 at work, it took me a while to get used to it. For technology challenge folks, recommend to use Windows 7 but not sure if can purchase Win7 at all now.

Rick

I'm Tech Challenged in a big way,so If my Grandson can still install 7 then I guess I'll go that way. He did his parents awhile back with 7 and they don't seem to have any issues but they know what there doing.I think they still will charge you even with already owning the disc to install ,They want to get in everyones pocket so i beleive you have to give them your pc #so you can't buy one disc and give it to others for free.

My Grandson is only 15 and he's taking Cyber security and he's smart with this,I told him that I'll pick him up in the Monte and bring him here to fix me up .I'm taking him along at the end of the Month to a show with me.I'm trying to brain wash that Ford out and a Monte in. His Dad is a Ford guy. lol

Thanks

Terry

Welcome to the 21st century, Terry! grin At least we have both hung on to two of the nicest vehicles from the last century!! wink

Hi Terry,

Windows 7 professional is the best, I don't know what your grandson has. We have windows 7 on a laptop and it is overall an easy to transition from XP. You need to check and see if you computer can run Windows 7 without other upgrades, like RAM for example. Windows 7 may require you to upgrade your memory. Just my $.02. (P.S., can I borrow your 8track collection one of these days rofl )

. (P.S., can I borrow your 8track collection one of these days rofl )

Thanks guys for your advice, A friend of mine has the same desktop and he had a pro install 7 in his so I'm basing it will on that but I'll find out soon.

Pat,would you also like the Deck head Cleaner Tape with them lol

Terry

I've jumped into Windows 8 with my last laptop. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal adjusting to it. A lot of stink over the lack of a "Start" button in the tool tray. I never understood that because all functions are still available but just in a different place. I've heard not to do the upgrade to 8.1.

I have the 8.1 upgrade after 8.0 for one year, and I like the fast loading. With 8.1 you can hide the (made for touch screen) desktop icons which I like. In about 30 seconds I can start checking out the FGMCC web site. My wife has 7 on her lap top and it's much slower. 8.1 upgrade has caused an issue with my printer. Every several days it fails to print and I have to run the HP print Dr. then it's OK. My old printer was NOT usable at all with 8.0 so you may need a new printer! Also some older PC's may not me able to handle 8.0 / 8.1.

Thanks guys for all your input,I'll likely go with the 7 since my Grandson has it and can help me with the upgrade,at my age 7 may be the last upgrade I'll need lol.

Terry

Bruce,I just got a new cannon printer so I'm hoping it works with 7. I also just bought a new monitor and key board so I should be good to go after I upgrade.

Bruce, you might try uninstalling your printer and then installing the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site. That should solve your printing issues.

Terry, yes on the head cleaner, that way I can listen to the Doobie Brothers without any noise from the dirty heads. kicking

You will be happy with Windows 7 pro. Like I mentioned my daughter has it and the learning curve from XP is easy. I have 8.1 and after getting used to it, love it. It took me about two weeks to get comfortable with it, at which time my household stayed away from my office. blush Take care!

I say 7 pro as well. Its stable, fast and compatible with everything. Ive tried 8 and just dont care for it. For computers not running a touch screen i think it was a big mistake to push 8 onto everying. Perhaps its good for those that have trouble seening the icons or not tech savvy but the way you navigate 7 and under has been more or less unchanged since 95. Why fix whats not broken? I have xp on my wifes computer(my old machine) and it still works great and starts up in 45 seconds using a stripped down version of xp pro.i will hopefully be able to continue using it though as im not sure of how well 7 would work on that hardware. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, Alli just got a new computer with windows 8 installed on it, I looked at it briefly and was lost lol May just stick to the iPad at this point and abandon the laptop.

I hate change! Good luck to her figuring it out, I was usually the person she came to with issues, not that I was a genius but I could stumble my way through it.

It only took me a couple hours to get comfortable with Windows 8. Once you get past all the apps on the main page and go to Desktop it's all about the same. My laptop at work is 8 also but can't do any GM reprogramming because their system doesn't support 8.

Wait till Windows 9 comes out....it will be much better. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well,This is the day of the demise of Windows XP,My pc won't support windows 7 or 8 so I'm forced to get a new one,I'm having one custom made with 7,don't want to go the 8 thingy,heard to many horror stories. I haven't been able to find a new one with 7 ,they are all set for 8,I should be up and running with the new one by the end of this wk. This should be a barrel of fun trying to teach an old dog new tricks lol

Terry

I had 8 with my new PC then upgraded to 8.1 (free) had some bugs with printing that have now gone away after several months. I don't mind 8 at all now since they let you (remove) the start screen that was made for touch screens.

Bruce

I remember your printing issues,glad you have it straighten out,I'm sure that I'll have a few issues but my Daughter has 7 and she can help me with it,I'm not an animal of change but they won't allow that lol

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

What a wild ride its been with this new pc that I had custom built with windows 7 ,all new and should of been up and running .Since I brought it home last Fri,I've had the Verizon Tech here 3 times,the guy that built the pc once and on the ph several times, my Daughter was on the ph with Verizon for a total of 3 or more hrs And it still will not connect to the internet,The pc guy says its the Modem,the Verizon Tech that was here to check it all out says its the pc,the verizon tech on the ph says the modem is ok.I went and purchased a new modem because of my pc guy which won't work ,I also ordered a new one from Verizon at their suggestion. I can hook up the old XP pc and it runs fine with internet connection.I threw the towl in today after the Verizon Tech and the puter guy was on the ph trying to figure it out,I said that I had enough and returned it for a refund. Now I'm back using the XP.

I needed some cool down time and will figure which way to go later.I'll keep my XP until they pry the Mouse from my cold dead fingers lol

Terry

Wow that sucks. Considering your old pc worked fine something definitely isn't right.

Sounds to me like it's either drivers for the Ethernet card or a a hardware failure on the new pc. The guy who built it should have been able to test that functionality before he gave it to you. Good luck.