1970 Headlight Extensions?

Hey guys, I learned something this past year while attending the WM. It was pointed out to me that the Headlight Extensions on my 72 Monte were of a 1970 Monte.

Not having all the history of the car, I can only assume at one time there was front end damage and this difference became part of the repair.

In order to gain a better understanding, I believe the core support is different from a 1970 vs. a 71 / 72. Is this the result of the difference from 71 / 72 headlight extensions (how they bolt up)? And would that difference also include the front fender mounting making the 70 fenders unique?

I am considering replacing the headlight extensions for the correct year style and need to understand what that change would require (if any) in work/parts vs. just removing and replacing extensions.

Appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.

Doug

Makes me wonder if you also have 70 fenders. The bolt holes/pattern are different for 71/72 extensions. I think you would also have to cut recesses in the 70 extensions for the park/turn lights in the grille of the 72? I'd like to see some pics of that set up confused

I don't believe that

'70s have a different chrome bezel too, it's more rounded than that of a '71/2, and you wouldn't be able to use your '72 park/turn lights, and '70 headlights are mounted closer "in" towards center compare to a '71/2 so you would have to have a '70 core support too, if you look at your front 2 bolts at the core support, and the front most bolt is "stepped" up, and the second one is lower, then you have a '71/2 sore support/fenders

take a close look at my '70s chrome bezels are compared to your picture above

70_4_speed_1241.JPG

could you post a picture of your car front straight in front and of where the fender bolts to the core support we could be of much more help to you, but by what I can see of your signature pictures, you have the correct ones

I didn't even consider that the 70 h/l's are inset towards grille more, good point Sam. That would make this set up even more difficult to pull off, probably impossible with the width of the 72 grille

I looked threw your pictures on Photobucket, you have a '71/2 core support, whoever told you that must have been smokin some funny stuff lol

if you look where the fender bolts to the core support you can clearly see the "step"

100_2885-1.jpg

Okay, good info for me. grin

Good point on the headlight bezels and recognizing the core support of a 71/72 model! confused I will have to look at the bezels to determine year(s).

I will see if I can find and post pic's to better describe the differences (1970 & 71/72)of the headlight extensions that were pointed out to me.

Your observations have been and are instrumental in directing me to a knowledgeable conclusion on this issue. It has been bothering me since the difference was pointed out to me and was unsure what I would have to do to correct it.

I'll get some decent pictures of my Extension/Bezels and post them.

Thanks guys, grin

Much appreciated......

Doug

Okay, here's a pic showing front end and based on the info you guys provided can now see what you are saying.

Whew! That's a relief. I was concerned if I had to make changes, just how deep would I have had to go and also, now less concerned there had been some type of front end damage. grin

CORRECTHEADLIGHTEXTENSIONS.jpg

Also I noticed just visually looking at the inside edges of the extensions shows a difference in configuration as the 70's run parallel with the grill edges all the way up while to 71/72 extend further into grill at bottom top.

As always, appreciate your responses and All have a GREAT day.....

Doug

I once met a guy who didn't know he had a 70 ft clip on his 71. It's been over 40 years, people can change (mess up) allot of stuff on a vehicle.

Who told you that your car had 1970 extensions? Those are all 72 parts you have on yours. I examined them closely while changing your water pump gaskets. grin

Cant recall who pointed it out but clearly was mis-informed. I sum it up to a lack of knowledge on both our parts as I knew there were differences between those years but could not visually point out what the differences were.

Geez Aaron! You coulda saved me all this heartache by sharing your knowledge with me back on that fateful day! kicking

Whats important is I have now been schooled on those differences and no replacement needed. yay

Thanks all for sharing the wealth of your knowledge. Hope to become helpful myself in the future (after picking all your brains)!

Doug

I once met a guy who didn't know he had a 70 ft clip on his 71. It's been over 40 years, people can change (mess up) allot of stuff on a vehicle.

True that! Learned just how much recently working on a 66 Elke! It just never seemed to end.......... shocked

Doug

Just got my 5 Year Badge Sam & will place it on my Grill before I kick off the fair weather driving.

My side glass is generally down and I just don't like decals in front or rear window. But will proudly displayed on Grill this Summer! cool

Doug