Factory power door locks

Hey guys,

Getting ready to install my Power Windows & Power Door Locks and have questions on Power Door Locks.

Is there anything in particular I need to know when replacing the manual locks with power locks? It seems fairly simple but am not well versed on what to expect.

I have a fairly extensive pictorial (thank you McFan) on installing Power Windows but nothing for door locks.

I'm going to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks and trying to get all my eggs in one basket. I tried the search function but never got a hit. Not certain I was using it correctly?

Any and all guidance GREATLY appreciated.

Doug

Doug,

You won't be replacing the manual locks; you're just adding the power locks to the system. There is an arm coming off the latch assembly that the rod from the lock solenoid will attach to. In these pictures you should be able to see that the power door lock rod just attaches to the latch arm. (Lower left)

P1010548.jpg

P1010549.jpg

This is from the Fisher Body Service Manual for 1972. Pages 6-45 and 6-16 respectively.

Hey, Doug,

I took a few pictures of my factory power door lock installation two years ago but never finished a photo journal for the project. I'll see if I can pull that together from memory.

I am guessing that you already have acquired the used factory components (i.e. solenoids, switches, and wiring harnesses) for this project. If so, I hope you got a set from another Monte because all of the GM solenoids may look the same, but there is a lot of variation in where the bracket is welded onto the solenoid. There can also be slight variations in the mounting hole pattern and the actuator links. You can overcome some of that, as I had to do in my installation, but it sure is easier if everything fits properly to start with.

If you haven't already acquired factory parts and are just wanting the convenience of power locks, I suggest you consider the Klassic Keyless kits offered by Tom Pelchat. You won't have to cut switch holes in your door panels and you'll have the convenience of keyless entry. I originally installed the factory power locks and later interfaced Tom's Keyless kit also so I now have the best of both worlds - it looks factory, but operates keyless. I also added his power trunk release and use that a lot. No more worrying about scratched paint around the trunk lock from dangling keys.

Hey Dennis and thanks for the tips. If I remember correctly, these were from another 72 Monte. I bought the power windows and door locks from Rainer (Malibu 400) a couple years ago and everything needed was supplied.

I did purchase the remote key fob for the door locks and will install at same time. I considered the remote for power trunk also but passed on it and sticking with glove box release switch.

They don't appear to difficult to install if as you say they were made for my Monte but am always happy to have any info that smooth's out the process. smile

I am probably a week or two away from tackling this and your detailed installation thread is GREAT. It is going to take a lot of the trial and error out. grin

I have already tested the window motors and locks. Cleaned and lubed most everything and will check components once more on harness/switches before they go in.

Appreciate any other info you deem valuable.

Doug

Doug, I pulled a set of photos together into a new album tonight and got started on the captions, but this is going to take a few sessions to finish. I'll get it done as soon as I can and let you know. It is pretty straight forward and a very good project to combine with installing power windows since both wiring harnesses need to be routed through new holes cut in your door frame and cowl sill.

I never did get my power window installation photos organized into a finished photo journal so I'll have to work on that also. The power window installation is much more involved than power door locks. As challenging as the combined projects were (for me), I am very glad I did it and I use my power windows and locks every time I drive my Monte.

Hey Doug,if you are going to install factory Power windows and door locks and have the regulators for the windows with motors attached you will need to drill holes into the door frame panel dimples to mount them as they do NOT use the same holes as the manual set up same for the rear set up as well and the PDL have the dimples too towards the bottom of the door about 4 inches from the latch you just have to look for them (3) as Dennis mentioned. . Every chevelle and Monte carlo came down the production line set up for either power windows or power doors locks and manual set ups for both as well in for form of Dimples in the door frame panels, the workers received the build sheets to show what cars got which power or manual options and drilled out the correct dimples to accomidate that option leaving the other dimples there for later use if needed. For instance if you got a Non power window car from factory order or even from the GM dealer and wanted the factory option added as they called them Dealer Installs you went to the dealer and they put them in using the Factory dimples already marked out. I have done about 20 conversions on both your options on chevelles and our Monte's including My Monte. I have 43 out 45 options on the ragtop and have done all the wiring and install on all of them and also did it when I worked at GM for years. need help drop me a line and I will try to help out but bare with me on a reply as I am still recouping with my health….. Kudo's to Dennis for jumping in and is a HUGE help as well and has tons of info too …. Love those pictures Joe thats a good see through view..

Darren

Sounds good and thanks Dennis. What I have accumulated mostly from you to date will make a huge difference in how well my project goes. Yeah, doing the door locks makes a lot of sense same time as windows.

I plan on taking a page from you when doing my Power Driver Bucket Seat with a (I hope) comprehensive photo journal should anyone else need assistance. (We will see how well that goes). confused

Thanks again Dennis and to all who shared their expertise making this endeavor possible. grin

Doug

Thanks for the tip Darren. Any advise is helpful and duly noted. By the way, Love your car! cool

While my baby has a slew of factory options, those I have/am adding will make it very close to having them all (as I am aware of) and that was my goal. I'm missing a cruise control and if ever found, will add that as well. I have stayed within the bounds of what was offered in the 1st Gens to compliment the integrity of this era. The only item that does not fit the era is a key fob remote for door locks. I wouldn't be opposed to installing a cloned Chevelle cowl induction hood onto my Monte hood if I ever find one close by and has been done right.

I'll just keep dreaming...........

Doug

Okay, Doug, I've pulled together a photo journal for installing factory power door locks. It's a bit rough, but covers all the important steps including cutting holes in the doors and cowl sills for the wiring harness and providing 12V power directly from the battery.

I kept having a problem with disappearing captions so I hope it is all intact. Let me know if you have any questions. Here's the link to Installing Factory Power Door Locks

As you may know, Photobucket only shows the titles of the slides when you use Slideshow. Since all of the instructions and comments are in the captions below each photo, you have to click on each photo in sequence and scroll it up on your screen enough to read the captions.

Have fun and good luck!

Thanxs much Dennis! grin

I have copied your pics / information into a file (I hope you don't mind) and will have it available during the retro.

Considering your comprehensive detailed pics/instructions, should be a breeze. coffee2

That was a lot of work / effort to put that together! Your guidance in this is indispensable and cant thank you enough for all your help.

I'll let you know how it went when completed. smile

Best regards,

Doug