14 inch stock wheels ?

O'Riley 71

Hey steve, those are probably off of a Camaro or a Chevelle as they could have 14" rallies. The Base Model Monte and all Monte's came with 15" wheels.

Darren.

Think they came in a 6 or 7 inch wide 15" wheel, but that's the only difference I've been able to find.

When I ordered my 70 9/20/69 the only way to get the 70 series tires was with the 7" wheels. Standard wheels were of the 6" variety.

Do you have disc brakes on the front or brake drums????

good question Carl, if your going in the direction I think you are....? If the monte has Drm brakes on the front then thats a give away that some Chevelle smack had the monte in the past and took the 15x7 rallies and the Disk Brake set up off the front and poss the 12 bolt rear end if thats gone too and stuck on the chevelle drum brakes and 14" rallies to still sell the monte as a driver car and a chevelle out there has the upgrades...

Is that what your thinking Carl ???

my thoughts too if it is..

Darren.

I have 15x8 Vette rallys (4 inch backspacing) on my 70 and they fit OK but I needed to have all new springs and bend in the quarter panel lip a little for them to not rub.

My 70 with 15x8 rallys and 245/60/15 tires

0096.JPG

My 70 with stock 15x7 rallys and 255/60/15 tires

IMG_6534.JPG

Yes, I put 15x8s on the front and rear. As for the springs, if you have the original springs in your car your front and rear end likely sit quite low compared to new. I put all new springs in my 70 Monte to bring it back to stock height. If I left the old springs in the front, the tires on the 15x8 rims would rub on the fender when turning.

This gives you an idea of the height oof my car.

00314.JPG

Thanks for all the info. Thanks Larry for the links. I guess there is no need to buy the ones from Summit, there are several used sets around here. Looks like I will have the 14s for sale too. Is anybody using 15x7 in front

and 15x8 in the rear? How do you guys think that would look? Maybe that would eliminate the front clearance issue in case the spring are a little worn and give it a staggered look.

I switch out tire/wheel combos on my Monte quite often just for a different look. I have a NOS set of Goodyear H-78-14 poly belted tires on a set 14" ralley wheels. The H-78-14 bias on the 14" ralley look great on the front of the Monte. You have to be looking at them close to even realize they are 14's, because the "H" series tires were so tall. I had them on there for about a year. I just put the 15" BFG poly's back on it. They look great too with the fat sidewall's the old tires had. I will probably run the 14" Goodyears on the front to the Eastern meet in Somerset. I collect old school NOS sticker tires when I can find them. GRANTED, poly don't handle great(like a radial) , BUT they are just sweet lookin', and were original equiptment. And IMO as long as there is NO rot on them, why not.