hood latch spring

rsorg

Hi, I installed a new hood latch \ spring and still can not get my hood to (pop) up enough to get my fingers under the lip , does anybody know if there is a stiffer spring out there to buy from like grainger or mcmaster-carr , thanks

Mine was doing the same thing. I lubed up the hinges and then it was OK but then the hood started to close by itself, or in the wind.

I had the same problem, I installed new springs and aligned the hood better and now it pops up and I can open it without a big gap between the hood and grill to get my fingers in. I bought the springs from Summit and they were a direct fit for my 70.

I am gonna agree with the alignment problem is most likely the culprit. I had to tweak mine to get it just right

I had installed new gm springs ,also lubed the pivots on the hinges, helped with opening and closing ,but not with the pop that the hood should do, is it possable to adjust the hinges by loosing the bolts and tilting the hood up higher when the hood is fully opened, thanks

If you loosen the bolts for the hinges on the fenders that will raise or lower the back of you hood so it will not align with your fenders properly. Is the hood matching the latch. I have seen it on my Monte after repainting last year we had to realign the latch to the hood. The pin was off and holding the hood down until the realignment of the latch.

can the latch be loosened and slid over from side to side or front to back . while closing my hood and the pin starts

to go into the latch, the hood tweeks to the right ever so slightly , could this be my problem? All my lines\ gaps are perfect I hate to move anything , I would rather get a more heavy duty spring.

Yes. You can adjust that. Loosen up the three bolts in the triangle of the hood latch, just a little. Make that work first. Then take a big screw driver and tighten the cone that first enters lower catch. A little at a time. That will put tension on the spring. It's that spring that pops your hood open and not so much the rear hood springs. Granted the rear spring should be good. If you want to change the rear hood springs I have the correct part number. I always recommend 1970 springs. Be careful lubing the hinges because your hood might not stay up. Go slow because if you go too far the hood might not want to open. Hope that helps. Sorry on how I explained that. Thats the best I can do. Good Luck.

I tried to loosen up the 3 bolts on the latch and adjusting the tapered bolt that latches the to the hood to no avail. Ended up ordering some helper springs from macmaster carr 6 for 7.42 I will let everybody know how they work.

the latch "on the hood" is what adjusts the height of the hood when latched, adjusting this part in will take away how far the hood "pops" up and also lower the hood in the center

IF! the hood moves to the side when entering the latch and all gaps are good when closed THE HOOD NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED!

PROBLEM SOLVED,After adjusting the latch pin and spring, to get the hood to pop up, This did not work ,the latch is aligned perfectly with hood gaps and lines, I added a additional spring to the latch pin inside the bigger spring , and after cutting about a 1\2 inch off the new spring because of the spring being compressed to much , The hood works perfectly now , the hood pops up now the way it should . The extra spring took about an hour to install and adjust . THANKS TO ALL.

You can replace the whole latch if needed. NPD has it, the number is C-8083-107A. Price $48.95. It's a Chevelle part but it's the same for a Monte. www.nationalpartsdepot.com

Sounds like you spring was real weak.

Carl