1972 Monte Cruise Control pics

Needing some pics for a 72 Monte Cruise Control. I have a possibility for a setup but not sure.

If someone has some under hood pics of theirs that gives a good representation of components, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, smile

Doug

I bought mine over 24 years ago and attached it where the speedometer cables and throttle cable would all fit. Can't say it's where the factory would have put it or if it is 100% 71 Monte Carlo parts but it works and I love it! Perhaps this will help. The blue wire is used as a ground when it didn't work initially, I thought it may be because of the plastic fenders. I should change it to black!

Bruce

71 350 4BBL Cruise pics

Thanks Bruce. smile

I am unfamiliar with differences between systems & between years. I have seen a few in pictures but were not very descriptive on components.

I may have an opportunity to add Cruise in my 72 and am exploring if this set up is workable. Not even sure what year or model it came out of.

I will keep searching and may find enough info. And your pics were very useful to me. grin

Thanks again Bruce.

Doug

Hey Eric, that would be great! cool

Probably the last major piece to my puzzle. Did your Cruise Control come factory installed? I have been searching for a complete cruise system for some time without much luck and my brother discovered one he had forgotten about years ago in his basement while digging around. Not sure what year it is but looks very close to what I believe it should be.

Not that many had Cruise Control and probably a fairly rare option on the 72 Custom from factory.

Appreciate any info/pics. grin

Doug

Doug

I had almost a complete stock cruise for my 72 but went with an after market because the OEM did not hold speed to well. I sold that old set to a member here so he could have some spare parts in case his went kapoot.

20140514_092159.jpg20140514_092034.jpg20140514_091959.jpg20140514_092010.jpg

No problem. Yes my cruise was factory set up. Non a.c. car. And from what ive been told. You are right pretty rare in the 72 custom. My car is california built and stayed there till 1984. Im suprised it was ordered as non ac in such a warm climate yet it has cruise control smile Cool thing is it still works!!!

Eric,

Thanks for the pictures, When I added it to my 71 I just attached the cables and linkage to the carb then drilled holes and crossed my fingers.

I think I see a ground wire mine didn't have. No wonder it didn't work till I added one.

Bruce

http://www.firstgenmc.com/

No problem. Yes my cruise was factory set up. Non a.c. car. And from what ive been told. You are right pretty rare in the 72 custom. My car is california built and stayed there till 1984. Im suprised it was ordered as non ac in such a warm climate yet it has cruise control smile Cool thing is it still works!!!

Appreciate it Eric. Now I have something I can look at to see if the setup will work.

Pretty crazy no A/C from a Calif car. It was either ordered that way or was sitting on a Dealer Lot until someone elected to buy it.

Doug

Eric,

Thanks for the pictures, When I added it to my 71 I just attached the cables and linkage to the carb then drilled holes and crossed my fingers.

I think I see a ground wire mine didn't have. No wonder it didn't work till I added one.

Bruce

Yes, there is a ground wire attaching to the inner fender. Glad your set up worked for you!

Originally Posted By: 72jrfan88
http://www.firstgenmc.com/

Appreciate it Eric. Now I have something I can look at to see if the setup will work.

Pretty crazy no A/C from a Calif car. It was either ordered that way or was sitting on a Dealer Lot until someone elected to buy it.

Doug

No problem Doug, hope it all works out for you!

I have had a problem with my cruise control about every 3 years where it fails to hold a steady speed. I have corrected this by taking the assembly apart and cleaning the inside. I had to clean the inside last year so it works fine now. By dirty, there is a slight amount of fine stuff inside I remove with thinner. It may be getting sucked in through the filter. If you ever take it apart, MARK THE FT SECTION TO BACK SECTION ALIGNMENT, like you mark an alternator prior to dissembling it. This will same time when you put it back together.

Bruce

Thanks for the advice Bruce. My cruise works well but it is inconsistent as it seems to overcompensate for going up and down hills..the pedal really wants to stick down(only at times) and next thing you know it your flying smile but on a basic flat highway it works great. Im thinking I should give it a cleaning. The ground wire is frayed a bit. Not sure if this matters

20140514_092159.jpg

A little off the topic but where could I get that type of steering wheel? The one I currently have is just not very good....

Thanks.

Hey Drew,

Those steering wheels are not uncommon. They were a factory option on several chevy cars. Check out vintage cars & parts on ebay and craigslist is another source. You can post wanted in our for sale / wanted forum. I am sure you can come up with one quite easily. smile

Doug

I had almost a complete stock cruise for my 72 but went with an after market because the OEM did not hold speed to well. I sold that old set to a member here so he could have some spare parts in case his went kapoot.

Hey Larry, how do you like your aftermarket cruise control? I am considering adding cruise and really don't need stock because I am not trying to keep it original. (It was not original when I bought it) How difficult was it to install?

20140514_092159.jpg

A little off the topic but where could I get that type of steering wheel? The one I currently have is just not very good....

Thanks. [/quote

Yes. Like doug said in a earlier post not to uncommon just have to do some searching. The steering wheel is offen refferred to as the "4 spoke sport steering wheel" in my cars case it was factory because my custom came with the "comfort tilt" option which allows for about 6 different steering wheel positions. Without comfort tilt my car would of came with the standard "custom" wheel which has chevrolet written in cursive on lower right of wheel. Hope you find a good wheel soon! I will keep my eyes open as well

Thanks for the steering wheel info guys, I know what I have isn't original and there are a ton of them out there.

This helps narrow things down quite a bit.

If I was going to with after market cruise I would now use Dakota Digital. My present system which I have the installation manual but cannot remember the name of only lets my car run about 69mph. I think this is mainly because of the 700R4 TV cable. The Dakota Digital system can have the control button on the turn signal lever while my present system only has the separate control module that I mounted in the ashtray. I also had to mount a magnet on the drive shaft with a pick up sensor mounted to the bottom of the floor board near the drive shaft. It was not a hard install but did take a little bit of time with my son in-laws expertise in wiring it all up. It was Greek to me and even when I looked at it a few minutes ago it still is.

I may have a source for OEM new cruise control parts. I will see if I can find out what year they are for. Just found out Sunday at a party.

Bruce

On my previous pictures I further inspected the cruise unit. It is stamped " A.C. cruise master" the old a.c. logo has a circle around it. I didnt check real hard but didnt see a part number. From the factory was it called "cruisemaster" ? Im not really sure but im told it is original to the car

On my previous pictures I further inspected the cruise unit. It is stamped " A.C. cruise master" the old a.c. logo has a circle around it. I didnt check real hard but didnt see a part number. From the factory was it called "cruisemaster" ? Im not really sure but im told it is original to the car

Hey Eric,

Yes they are identified as AC (circled) Cruise Master. I have looked at a few of them and some have markings that I have viewed. One had a alphanumerical stamping (59J7RL), Another had ink stamped 72 6, another ink stamped 10 7, and (2) others had a taped TK with a series of numbers after them. Was no help in determining what they were from. I searched the web and was not able to come up with any info so far. However, from what I had read and been told, from 1964 at least thru 1978, the same transducers were used with hook up variations based on model(s) and year.

That's all I have been able to determine so far.

Doug