Did All '71-'72 Big Blocks Have R89W Batteries?

tid

Hey Guys, my memory is escaping me. I'm familiar with the heavy duty battery option on build sheets, but I currently don't have a build sheet for my '72 402 car. My understanding is that for 1971 and 1972, the standard battery was a side post R89S battery and the heavy duty battery was a R89W.

Would my 402 car automatically have an R89W because it's a big block? I'd like to get a correct battery for the car and there's enough difference between the S and W that I'd like to purchase the correct one.

If big block cars didn't automatically come with the R89W, is there another way, other than looking at the build sheet, to determine which battery a car came with?

Gauge wire or part number on my original battery cables? Some other distinguishing factor?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Not certain what original battery was. On my Build Sheet it only shows (R89) for the battery. It originally was a 350 CI motor. It may be possible that (R89W) would be displayed if the heavy duty battery as I am just speculating. Hopefully, someone will confirm for you.

Doug

Hi Doug, I think I have some information that will help. I haven't had great luck finding build sheets in Kansas City built cars, but got lucky tonight and found mine under the rear seat! Box 47 says R89 and T60 is not listed as an option, so I'm pretty certain I have a big block car WITHOUT a heavy duty battery. Excellent list of options with this survivor, though, and it was a customer order to boot!

Jeff