My '70 SS454 build

overdrive

Look on the light side, no one was hurt and your car wasn't totaled like mine was.  Hagerty is great to work with and will treat you right.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Mike

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear of your mishap, Dan.  I hope Hagerty helps you get it fixed right and quickly.  Minnesota's new "hands free" law just went into effect today, July 1.  No driver is allowed to manually operate their phone while driving without being subject to a progressive fine and other consequences.  Voice commands are allowed and some limited use of GPS but no keying is allowed.   Don't know if MO has a similar law but I hope that punk who hit you has to pay something to learn a lesson and send a message to other careless, distracted cell phone using drivers.

• Like 1

Oh man, that's awful. Glad you weren't hurt and hopefully insurance takes care of you and you're back on the road with it soon. That kid certainly needs a b**ch slap for that one...

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Illinois is just across the Mississippi from us, and they have laws prohibiting phone use while driving, except for hands free. Missouri does not. We need it, but I go to Quincy, Illinois at times and see alot of people driving and texting there. 

I've talked to Hagerty. An adjuster will be calling tomorrow. 

Dan

Holy Moly Dan, glad your ok, but she took a good shot. These kids of today need to get a grip on reality and stop with phones. Whatever they think they have to say/text can and should wait. I have no use for people like this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I've been taking it apart and restoring parts. Surprisingly, I was able to reshape and save all of the bumper brackets without messing up any of the powder coating. I'm taking the car to a guy that does paintless dent repair. He can probably take care of the quarter panel dent. If so, that'll save me alot of work, money, and time.

The adjuster reported a little over $5300 for repairs. The rear axles are now leaking, 8 miles after the wreck. The adjuster said if I need anything more than new seals, call him and he'd write up a supplement for whatever I need to fix it. Hagerty called and the check should be here in a few days. 

I spent about a half hour straightening and putting the license plate bracket back together. I'm glad to be able to save it, since it has the original dealership sticker on it. The hinge pin had been ripped out of the collars it fits in.  I'll blast it and repaint. 

Dan

20190712_183758.jpg

20190712_205412.jpg

20190712_073407.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That plate frame turned out great! Wonder if the abrupt crash with your wheels being stationary caused the axles to bash the seals and damage them? Now what about the axle bearings? 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I pulled the axles and spun them in a lathe with a dial indicator to check runout. They are fine. 

I built a temporary paint booth in the shop. Repairs are coming along. I have all of the parts. I just need to finish the paint and clearcoat on the quarter panel. 

Dan

20190903_194347.jpg

20190905_140347.jpg

20190905_140451.jpg

20190906_203953.jpg

20190908_135215.jpg

On 7/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, overdrive said:

Thanks all. I've been taking it apart and restoring parts. Surprisingly, I was able to reshape and save all of the bumper brackets without messing up any of the powder coating. I'm taking the car to a guy that does paintless dent repair. He can probably take care of the quarter panel dent. If so, that'll save me alot of work, money, and time.

The adjuster reported a little over $5300 for repairs. The rear axles are now leaking, 8 miles after the wreck. The adjuster said if I need anything more than new seals, call him and he'd write up a supplement for whatever I need to fix it. Hagerty called and the check should be here in a few days. 

I spent about a half hour straightening and putting the license plate bracket back together. I'm glad to be able to save it, since it has the original dealership sticker on it. The hinge pin had been ripped out of the collars it fits in.  I'll blast it and repaint. 

Dan

20190712_183758.jpg

20190712_205412.jpg

20190712_073407.jpg

I am missing those quarter panel pieces what are they called and are they available?

The black rubber bumper  fillers? Yes they are available from various suppliers. They are standard for the 70 Monte Carlos and found on some early production 71s. I feel they should have been on all 3 years. Just makes the back look better. 

The insurance paid a little over $5300 for the repairs. 

I put everything on the rechromed bumper this evening. I should be able to finish spraying the paint in a couple of days. Sand and buff it, and then reassembly. 

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the road. I finished it last Monday night. Took it to town Wednesday evening and almost got hit in the rear again in a 55 mph zone on my blacktop. I was signaling and slowing to turn right, off the highway, and a woman wasn't paying attention. I was watching her and she was looking down and reaching toward the floorboard for something. I had to floor it and miss my turn to avoid an accident.

It took 3 months to do the repairs, due to my job, family illnesses, paint supplies delays, and normal life issues.  I missed out on some car shows, cruise-ins, and the July 4th parade. I can only hope this never happens again. I love driving it, but the anxiety of the distracted idiots on the road takes away alot of the fun. 

On a good note, I went to Springfield, Illinois for the Route 66 Festival cruise-in on Friday night and had a great time with over 2000 vehicles there. Everyone met at a shopping mall lot and the police blocked intersections for about 5 miles to the downtown area, by the state capital. It took around 2 hours to get all of the vehicles there and there were thousands of spectators along the route. 

Dan

20190913_184746.jpg

20190920_095213.jpg

20190922_140713.jpg

20190923_171914.jpg

20190927_201642.jpg

20190925_220248.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see it back on the road again. I have the same feeling when I drive back through the area where I hit the deer this past June, I keep waiting for another one to pop out of the bushes. You have one beautiful car.

• Like 1

Dan, it looks as beautiful as ever.  You do amazing work.  I hope that guy learned a lesson but I would be willing to bet the answer to that is no.

rob

• Like 1