My '70 SS454 build

overdrive

With the help of Orbit, I ordered a black oxide coating kit from Caswell's Plating and restored some of the hardware that I had previously painted. They look alot better now. Thanks Joe.

The Stage 2 kit from Classic Auto Air arrived today. I'll be working on installing these parts soon.

Dan

post-339-0-99742100-1524705270_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-98989700-1524705328_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-04594700-1524705377_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve! I appreciate that.

I took the car, hoodless, to a cruise-in last evening. Got quite a few people looking at it and asking if it's a "real car", as one guy put it. I said yes, it's a true SS and I have the build sheet. Several wanted to know what the load leveling compressor was. It was a fun evening.

Steve Gregori at the plating shop that now has my hood hinges called and said he'll have them recoated in about 2 weeks.

Someone here suggested awhile back that I put a copy of the build sheet under the rear seat, and I thought that was a great idea. I also did a short write-up about what I've done to the car. I put both in a zip lock bag, under the seat.

Dan

post-339-0-11874800-1524924234_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-93285700-1524924266_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-66302100-1524924354_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-65238600-1524924382_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I blasted and painted the new AC compressor brackets and got the compressor mounted. Getting the correct length belt was a pain. Installed the new condenser, the filter/drier, the expansion valve, and I've cut the hoses to length, ready to have the ends crimped.

My local car club had our May cruise in last night and we had a great turnout.

I counted 73 vehicles and mine was the only Monte Carlo of any year there. Since I don't have the hood hinges back, and the front end isn't aligned, I took the Monte to town in the trailer and parked it a few blocks from the cruise in. After the cruise was over, I couldn't resist taking a ride up and down Broadway and around town a little. I had taken steering and suspension measurements before I took the car apart, so I had everything somewhat aligned. It ran and drove great, and the cooling system worked fine. I had adjusted the timing with my light earlier in the day and that got rid of a slight hesitation it had. It was fun to be driving it again, after 5 years of disassembly.

Dan

post-339-0-98232700-1525659402_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-75549700-1525659436_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Finished the installation of the AC system parts and got the system charged and leak tested this morning. One step closer to being on the road.

Dan

post-339-0-12711400-1527267198_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-51029600-1527267234_thumb.jpg

Dan, very nice clean build, Masterful in every sense of the word. The kit from Classic air dresses it up pretty nice, was the kit minded in that fashion? With the compressor in the existing location and can you still use the existing evaporator?

Thank you, guys. The Classic Auto Air Stage 2 kit is for those that want to keep their original controls, evaporator and housing, and mount the compressor in the original location. Everything forward of the POA valve is in the kit, including the brackets for the compressor, and all of the mounting brackets and hardware for the included condenser, and new filter/drier. The compressor brackets and spacers come bare. I chose to paint the brackets satin black and I blasted the bolts, washers, nuts, and spacers before coating them with the black oxide kit. The 2 longest hoses come with one end finished, and I cut the other end to length and had the guy that charged the system install the ends on the hoses a couple of weeks ago. I used R134A. When you order from them, they'll ask you what refrigerant you'll be using and which compressor you want. They were very helpful and knowledgeable.

The hood hinges are scheduled to be here Wednesday.

I worked on a spare set of horns today. I bought a kit to rebuild them, but not done, yet. My originals don't always sound right.

Dan

Hey Dan, is the air ride functional and is it adjustable? I like the ride the way it is sitting but it’s not “level” as the system suggests?

Hey Dan, is the air ride functional and is it adjustable? I like the ride the way it is sitting but it’s not “level” as the system suggests?

Thanks, everyone.

Rock, the load leveling system works and there is some adjustment at the control valve. I can also make a new swivel linkage whatever length I need, if the original isn't going to work out. I haven't fine tuned the rear shocks, but I want to lower the rear a little.

A little less air in the shocks will improve the ride.

Dan

• 1 month later...

I took the SS to a very big cruise in yesterday in Monmouth, Illinois. It was from 7 AM-10 PM. I had a great time and was able to talk to alot of people that love Montes. I took it to a show a couple weeks ago with 364 vehicles. Another fun day with an organized cruise through town and past a few nursing homes the night before.

post-339-0-38922800-1533403511_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-69765900-1533403560_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-51990000-1533403595_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for the great comments.

I worked on the 3.55 posi 12 bolt again today and it's ready to replace the original 2.56 posi. The 3.55 wasn't as ready to go as a previous owner claimed. I pulled the new axles a few weeks ago and found the new seals had been damaged and not oiled or greased when assembled. That made me pull everything out and flush it clean. The rear end had been blasted and painted before I got it and there was sand in the axle tubes. I replaced one bearing, the yoke, and all seals.

Dan

post-339-0-74594900-1533521856_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-78910800-1533603405_thumb.jpg

I wish I had the time, to do projects like that, the place to do projects like that and the money to do projects like that.  

rob

• Like 1

You just can’t trust anyone’s work anymore. But now you know it’s been done right. Are you going to put in an OD in the car now that you changed the gearing?

• Like 1