Heater core swap photos

I did a heater core swap in my 71 and uploaded the photos I took during the process. This was the first major project I've done on the 71 since I got it in August.

I also painted the firewall and cowl area in the process. This was another project that required over 2 hours of masking and about 15 minutes of painting. It will take time to get the engine compartment all restored. This was a good start.

Firewall before

00113.JPG

Firewall after

00512.JPG

Here is the photo album:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=721

The problem now is that I made the firewall look so nice and now the unrestored stuff looks bad, LOL.

The one I got was aluminum. I never even checked in the box before I needed to pull it out. Honestly, I'd get the copper next time with the correct angle of neck.

You do know that with AC and non AC are at a different locations.

I do know that almost everyone is making the Alum. now. Hope they work okay. Thats a hard job to install a new one.

Nice job! Dejavu, reminds me of several years ago when I replaced my heater core 71 No A/C.

Bruce

• 2 years later...

I remember doing my 71 NO A/C about 8 years ago. Ended with new carpet and Morris 3 point safety belt system. I took the entire dash out.

Bruce

https://goo.gl/photos/QXxXrCawPSrrc5VNA

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110808817090254771768/album/AF1QipOAlszqTPi2NKqIOjRy8Nd_Dp6blpSYaZHeW5FM

John, Were you referring to my pictures?

I added a different link, please try it and let me know if either one works now.

This is an issue since Google killed their old Picasa program I think.

Bruce

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro this thread after 2 years, but my '72 started leaking coolant down over my feet when I'm driving, and it appears to be coming from the lower vent. It's a factory AC car, but the old AC condenser is no longer in the vehicle, and I was wondering if the heater core was the only thing back in there that could be leaking, or if there were other possible culprits. Also, how much of a bugger is it to get the box out from under the dash? 

Hey Malyc.

Yes, the heater core is the only coolant holding thing back there. You can remove it from under the dash. Having to remove the whole assy under the dash. You will have to remove at least the passenger tire and inner fenderwell after removing the battery. Removing it is easier since you have to remove all the bolts to move it anyway. Sounds harder than it is. 

I have never seen coolant leak onto the drivers feet unless it is coming out of the hump vent.  You said the AC condenser is no longer in the car.  How about the evaporator.  If the evaporator and the evaporator plenum have also been removed it will be easier to access the engine side of where the lines for the heater core come through the firewall.  Like it was said above, replacing the heater core is mostly done from inside the car from under the dash.  

I would not consider it a super easy job though, maybe because I am a little tonage impaired (overweight) so fitting between the front seat and laying on the floorboard and working under the dash is not the easiest thing to do but it can be done by the backyard mechanic.

rob