Jeep parts for our Montes

I read an article in Hot Rod a couple of months ago where they used the steering box from certain year Grand Cherokees in A body GM cars. It is supposed to be the same Saginaw steering box used in the mid eighties Monte SS's and other G bodies but without the internal stops. Has anyone tried this on their Monte? It seems these would be cheaper and easier to find than the ones in a Monte SS.

Here is the Link to the story.

I checked on getting the jeep steering box at my local NAPA store and they could get on but a core charge of around $250 kept me from doing it. The manager told me they check out the cores when they get them back and will not refund the core charge unless they match with what you received.

Here is what I ordered for mine; $50.79 for a Lares 1353 box with a $50.00 core and a Lares 200 rag joint for $16.66. I sold my old box to a guy and got my core charge back. So I ended up dishing out around $70.00 for the the swap. Only mod I did is changing the hoses becauses the new box has a different fitting set up. I was changing the lines any way because I also added a hydro boost. I paid a little less as I had purchased mine a year ago. The above prices are current from Rockauto.

If you're interested in doing this swap here is some information I've found about it. It increases the effort necessary to turn the wheel to more like that of a modern car. That's why I've not done it to mine. I like that feather-like feel of the steering in the ole' Monte that some call "loose".

PARTS LIST

DESCRIPTION PN SOURCE PRICE

GM steering coupler 62420 Lee Manufacturing

GM steering coupler bolt 7807271 SDPC

GM power steering fluid 89020661 SDPC

Dorman steering coupler 31011 Rock Auto

Lee high-pressure seat insert 40620 Lee Manufacturing

Lee low-pressure seat insert 40630 Lee Manufacturing

Earl's 18mmx1.5 O-ring 961956 Summit Racing

Earl's 16mmx1.5 O-ring 961955 Summit Racing

Earl's steel 90-degree -6 139106ERL Summit Racing

Earl's P.S. -6 hose, 6-foot 130606ERL Summit Racing

GM power steering fluid 89021184 SDPC

1992-98 Grand Cherokee Fast Ratio Power Steering Gears

YEAR ALPHA CODE ORIGINAL APPLICATION GEARRATIO EFFORT T-BAR SIZE TRAVEL

1992.5-93-94 AL Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1995 JH Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1996 KD Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

1997-98 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

Lee Manufacturing 888-698-6679 Lee power steering

Rag joint from:

1977 thru 1982 Chevrolet and GMC C/K (2 wheel and 4 wheel drive) Pickup Trucks

1977 and 1978 Camaro, Firebird, and Nova

1979 Nova

1983 thru 1986 Chevrolet and GMC C (2 wheel drive only) Pickup Trucks

I've never done this swap so this information comes from my research not from actual experence installing it.

• 11 months later...

A couple other 12.7 quick ratio boxes are available without the internal stops.  (Which improves your chance of a successful search a bit...)    They also came on '91 - '96 Impala SS  and Caprice.

I pulled mine off of a low mileage '96 9C1 Caprice.      Just test for full travel of 2.5 turns, stop-to-stop.                   

Doug

Has anyone contacted lee recently I've emailed and called and they all go nowhere any other places that have the adopters?

There are many sources for the adapters.          http://www.ebay.com/bhp/power-steering-fitting        Speedwaymotors,       Jegs,       Summit.

Do you want to keep the inverted flare lines, or convert to the cleaner AN-6 connections?