Headliner ? Do It Yoursel ?

I have ordered a new headliner with sail panels and sun visor covers.

How hard will this be?

Can I do it myself or does it need to be hired out? confused

You can do it yourself. Just take your time! You may want to invite a very patient friend to help so you have a spare set of hands. There's nothing on these cars you can't do yourself with some patience and a minimum of knowledge.

wink

I will have to do some rust repair around the front & back glass before I put it in.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Jim

Jim,

check this out! http://www.upholster.com/auto/headliners-installation.html

Another thing I recommend is to have a heat gun handy, you could use a hair dryer..or lay the headliner in the sun, to work the wrinkles out! I used a heat gun worked great for me..kind of like drying hair, do'nt keep the heat on one spot too long, plus it tightens the headliner quite well.

Rod

fgmcc

I've replaced a couple of headliners. I see you are doing rust repair around the windows. If your taking the glass out, don't put it back in until the new headliner is installed. It's a lot easier when you don't have to deal with the glass being in the way.

Secondly, buy a few boxes of those 2" binder clips at any office supply. Clip the parameter of the headliner and then one side at a time, un-clip and stretch and re-clip until you get the liner nice and tight. Once your happy with it undo one side at a time, glue, stretch and use the windlace to finish.

If you can, do it outside in the sun.

It's not easy, but if you take your time you can do it.

Steve

I have put in several headliners and I would make a couple of recommendations to you. First, somehow mark the bows so they don't get out of sequence, then sand the rust off each rod and wax the metal LIGHTLY (you don't want a glob melting through in the hot sun). When you get the rods inserted into the sleeves and the rods inserted into the roof brackets, you will want to be able to slide the headliner slightly side to side to remove wrinkles and puckers. The 'slick' rods make this a lot easier.

my $ .02

BIG JIM I hope you don't mind me asking a question on ur post about the headiner rods.

What if the rods were remove w/o marking them How do you tell which is front and which is back?

Good Question,

I haven't attempted it yet since I'm waiting on bodywork and money.

Maybe one of these other guys could tell you.

Here's a way to determine sequence for the headliner rods:

Stand all five rods on the floor holding them together to check length.

*The very shortest and smallest diameter rod is rod #3 and goes in the center tube.

*The next shortest rod is rod #2 and goes in the #2 tube (forward of the center tube toward the windshield)

*The #1 rod is only about 1" longer than #2 rod. It has a more shallow bend on the ends and goes in the front tube closest to the windshield.

*Next is #4 rod and it goes in the tube immeiately behind the center tube toward the back glass.

*finally, the longest rod (#5) goes closest to the back glass.

You may have to cut the tube to give yourself some sliding room for adjustment. You probably need about 3/4 of an inch on each side. This can be accomplished after you have the headliner hanging by reaching up behind the headliner and slitting the tube as needed.

Start at the rear inserting the rods and work your way to the front.

Please excuse the long post and I hope it's not too confusing.

Roland

• Like 1

Thanks Roland that is what I was looking for.

Big Jim : Let us know how it goes. I plan on doing mine in a few weeks, the temp hits the 90's

It will probably be a while.

I want to get the metaL behind the front and rear glass repaired before doing the headliner. Let me know how it goes. Send pictures.

Jim

Big Jim

I started on the headliner I have followed all of the instructions above and so far it hasn't been that bad. I layed out in the 80 deg sun for 4 hours, waxed and installed the rods. (Thanks to roland the order was easy to figuer out)set them in the car and is curently it is held in place with binder clips. Next is to stretch several more times and glue. Does anyone have sugestions on what type of glue to use will 3M 77 spray glue work?

In the Year One Catalog it shows a specific Headliner Glue. I don't believe the Spray trim adhesive will work.It says it takes 1-2 cans per headliner and is priced at $5.10 per can.

I went to a local upholstery and they gave me some contact cement so far it is holding up. I will post pics soon.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...