What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

No action here. Getting cooler and no heat in the garage. The 70 Monte might be on hold until May once busy season at work ends. Drywalling a bedroom and laundry room instead now.

• Like 1

My son in-law Jamey and I redid the brakes on my 72 yesterday. I need to bleed them and recheck the passenger side as the drum went on kind of funny. It did not feel right at all. but after six hours of fooling with the drivers side and only 1 1/2 hours on the passenger side we had had enough. The drivers side fought us all day long along with trying to replace the flexible line to the rear brakes. We never did get the main line to the back undone. We left it and whenever I can get it on a lift I will have it done then. Now all I need to do is the rotor's, pads, calipers and flex lines on the front end. Both of the flex lines on the front are weather checked.

• Like 1

Didn't really do anything but I did look at three different BBC motors that I have laying around as spares for the Monte. A port injected 475/505 ci BBC, A 466 BBC or a 460BBC. I want to pull the 571CI BB out to put it in a race car project.

After 22 years, I started the engine! Just long enough with a carb and HEI to get a vacuum reading.

Comp Cams tech: "sir, with that cam, you won't see better then three inches of vacuum"

Test result says:

15%20inches_zps3tszaqzr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found a surprise last night when I pulled off the weatherstrip from the passenger door. Both doors are in excellent shape until I got all the way around to the rust at the top edge at the front of the door. I'm amazed how bad that area is with the rest being so nice.

Found a surprise last night when I pulled off the weatherstrip from the passenger door. Both doors are in excellent shape until I got all the way around to the rust at the top edge at the front of the door. I'm amazed how bad that area is with the rest being so nice.

Thanks for posting. I ran into the same issues and thought I was the only one!

well i just came off a 100 hour work week and now it is snowing....along with this my portable garage self disintegrated in a bad wind night while I was on the road..so now the inevitable task of clearing out my house garage to make room for the bare body...and the push to create a heater out of a oil water heater, circ pump, car rad, and box fan begins

• Like 1

Got the rear brakes finished up. Started working on them Thanksgiving weekend. Have not had the motivation to get in the garage and do anything. Getting ready to start replacing the front rotors, calipers, flex hose and pads. Still need to bleed the rears but thought about doing all of the bleeding at one time because I will have some help available then. The right rear was a challenge to complete because the drum would not go on. Found out the new lugs studs I put in last year would not clear the bolts patterns on the new drums. I drilled out the lug stud holes on the drum and had to clean up some burs on the axle and it went together very easily. Now out to the garage and do one of the fronts this afternoon.  :yay:

• Like 1

Today I decided to replace the Rear Wire Harness.  One of the Sockets for the Tail Light is damaged and have some years been ignoring the fact it needs replaced to work correctly.

After some investigation I felt the wire harness could be removed without also removing rear extensions.  Not enough room trying to remove Tail Light Socket(s) from Extension with your fingers reaching thru grommet hole.  I was able to disconnect all the (4) sockets from the bulb contact side by gently rotating Sockets with a screw driver and using my Palm, bumping the Socket with screw driver end turning Socket until it rotated into position to fall out.  I ended up pulling all the Harness except for the lower tail light socket on Passenger side.  I noticed there was not much extra space when removing Driver Side (same Socket) and not enough space for Socket on Passenger Side to pull through and then out through Grommet hole.

It looks like I will be dropping the Rear Bumper where I believe I will then have plenty of room to remove remaining Harness.  I have a replacement Harness I purchased from Leo Konik that will replace this one.  I will attempt to repair damaged Socket of removed Harness so as to have a complete working Harness as my spare.

I am not absolutely positive but with the Rear Bumper removed, I believe it will make it much easier to reconnect bulb sockets back into Housings.  But if I am mistaken, the Extensions may have to come off or figuring out how to snake the Harness into their respective locations and then re seat them into Housing.  

I am loosening up the Bumper Bolts tomorrow where it is a couple loose bolts from removing.  Going to get help removing this.  Once off, I will have a better idea if I need to pull extensions from car.

Will report back once I have determined the best course of action.

ps;  Sorry, no pic's as my Camera Battery was Dead.....................................

Doug

Glen, thats nice looking rear! :)

The jury is still out if I wanna black it out or leave it the color of the car. Right now I am leaning towards gloss black like the stripes.

I have no idea how it got this bad, the motor is pretty much the same, plenty of it on top of the intake.

I only scraped the front part of the transmission and had several pounds of the - whatever it is.

post-1245-0-99720400-1483208602_thumb.jpg

post-1245-0-94820200-1483208624_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have no idea how it got this bad, the motor is pretty much the same, plenty of it on top of the intake.

I only scraped the front part of the transmission and had several pounds of the - whatever it is.

Is the underside of the car coated like that. Looks like Alabama mud to me.

Is the underside of the car coated like that. Looks like Alabama mud to me.

Nothing like this, no. The access holes for the body mounts at the bottom of the firewall above the frame were fairly full of the same stuff, only in a drier condition.

Those photos are almost unbelievable!!  I've seen and driven many old farm tractors that had much cleaner running gear than that!

The closest thing I've seen was a VW-based dune buggy I bought years ago.  Its motor and transaxle were so caked with grease and mud that I took it to a shop for high pressure steam cleaning.  It looked almost new after that.  Both you and your Monte will feel better once that mess is blasted off!