What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

I have no idea how it got this bad, the motor is pretty much the same, plenty of it on top of the intake.

I only scraped the front part of the transmission and had several pounds of the - whatever it is.

Holy cow! I've dug car parts out of the woods that have had less mud. that's amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Snow & Ice finally mostly gone so got to get back on replacing rear tail light harness  Checked out replacement harness to make sure connections/bulbs worked and discovered a lime green color like wire was cut.  It looks to be the Back Up light wire.  Just need to make a new connection and all should be okay with Harness.  In the process of working on her, I was leaning into the trunk and slipped on snow that caused me to abruptly lean against rear tail panel and dented in one spot. Looks like I will take this off and see if I can get it back to flat again.  Have lots of time so not in a major hurry.  When completed, should have a renovated problem free harness & sockets that correctly and easily allow from bulb fitment & exchange capability.  TheI one I took out had a couple sockets that required me to somewhat modify due to previous damage, (they would flicker off/on intermittently unless the bulb socket was manipulated holding bulb secure).

Anyway, here is a pic of broken wire.  Was I correct on it being back up lights?

Doug 

post-458-0-89037200-1484786666_thumb.jpg

Charged the battery!

The gauge went over much further that I had thought, but it calmed down after a few hours.

I never checked to see how weak it was, just started charging.

Bruce

My son in-law Jamey came over today and helped me get the brake job completed on the 72. We started this Thanksgiving Weekend. I have worked on it the last three weeks trying to get the banjo's to seal to the calipers without any luck. I thought I had torqued them to the max but apparently not. We also bought some new copper washers but they were thinner than what we had on there. We got to checking the washers that came with the calipers and also the ones that came with the OEM replacement hoses and they were of difference thickness's. We went with the thickest ones and he really had to torque the bolts down before they all sealed up. After a frustrating couple of weeks the Monte is back on the road with great feeling brakes. I painted the calipers with Dupli-color red caliper paint and the rear drums with black caliper paint. The calipers really look good with the center of the rotors painted black from the factory. I more than likely never do another drum brake job in my lifetime and maybe not a caliper job either.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Working on painting the tie bars on the rear extension tail light bezels.  I bought some brush on paint, used it and paint color matches same as as OEM.  Bought it at Hobby Town USA, Paint brand is Model Masters, color is called "Turn Signal Red" and is indistinguishable from the OEM paint color.  The only issue I have with it is to get it to spread evenly/smoothly, otherwise you see different hues as the paint is not laid smoothly.  I actually used thinner and thinned out the paint and it did lay smoother.

I then picked up a spray can of Dupli-Color MetalCast Red Anodized that was recommended.  It worked better as the finish is more velvety compared to a little bit of roughness still in the brushed on Bezel.  The brush on and spray on colors are identical as well.

Pretty sure I will continue using the spray, again it is much evener than the brush.  Only issue is the time to tape off when spraying.

A couple pics showing the brush & spray results.  The lighting presents a different hue but be assured, they are identical.  I think the brush on will work almost as well if the paint can be thinned out enough to eliminate the surface texture.  I got pretty close on a couple experimental pieces I have been practicing on.  I have even considered thinning it out even more, then after drying, apply another coat of same thinned mixture, let dry and see if it covered the coat evenly and covered any thin areas that may have shown lighter hues while minimizing the rough appearance.

Doug

post-458-0-98994800-1486251899_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-01442100-1486252227_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, awesome warm here in NYC for mid February. My neighbors had a BBQ party!

First time applying power to the body since 1992. No flames or smoke!

16839342_10154440395665749_21112241_n_zp

excitement building more.......It's Alive It's Alive

I've been busy with the nice weather we've been having.  I worked in a t-shirt today with the garage doors open like it was spring here.  Installed the brackets for conversion from bench to bucket and cleaned up the floor boards, scraping the old sound deadener off.  Going to put Dynamat Sound Deadener in.  Been ordering lots of interior things.  I will post pictures sometime tomorrow.  Can we upload them on this site or do I have to put them on facebook and then put the link it the forum?

• Like 1

Can we upload them on this site or do I have to put them on facebook and then put the link it the forum?

You can use a photo hosting service like Photobucket and then paste it's link using the image adder box thingie above.

Mark,

You can upload them as thumbnails that can be opened larger when clicked on. From the post box click on "More Reply Options" next to the "Post" button. The screen will change. From there click "choose File" Then choose where the document/picture can be found and click on that document and the document link will show up next to the "Choose File" button. Then click on "Attach File". You will then see that file show up but until you click on the box to the right of the file called 'Add To Post", it will not embed into your post.

Now, you will see the link embedded into your post. You can add multiple documents and when you click on " Add Post"...... BINGO, all done

rob