What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Well, I'm at a crossroads right now on which way to go as motor in my Monte. I've been planning on a 6.0 LS motor swap and now I am thinking either increase size(stroke) of my SBC or take on a Big Block (427) for it. I have most of the stuff for a big block, I could even go out to 496 with it. I know that my car is not numbers matching and won't ever get rid of it. Just need a little more excitement. I do need to change out the gearing in it (3.42 now to 3.73) for  the overdrive  trans. It's been 12yrs . Decisions, Decisions.....................Thoughts?

Jim

Congratulations, Steve!!  That's fantastic!!  Very, very nice!!

No only has your dream of again owning a Cortez Silver '70 with buckets and a black vinyl top been fulfilled, it's been exceeded with a SS454 and a 4-speed!  It simply doesn't get any better than that for a stock parts first gen Monte.  I know you will have a blast with that car and it will be a head-turner wherever it goes.   Well done!!

Finally got around to installing the 4 Speed :shifter:  in my silver SS454. 

Since this car was not a numbers matching motor or transmission and I do not have a build sheet, I decided to just make this a "fun" car and let the other ones be the "correct" show pieces. 

Still got a couple more things to do for the 4 speed to be totally correct but it is drivable  and a total blast to drive!! :yay:  :yay: 

Wow!  That looks incredible!  

Must be a blast to drive  :shifter: 

Well, I'm at a crossroads right now on which way to go as motor in my Monte. I've been planning on a 6.0 LS motor swap and now I am thinking either increase size(stroke) of my SBC or take on a Big Block (427) for it. I have most of the stuff for a big block, I could even go out to 496 with it. I know that my car is not numbers matching and won't ever get rid of it. Just need a little more excitement. I do need to change out the gearing in it (3.42 now to 3.73) for  the overdrive  trans. It's been 12yrs . Decisions, Decisions.....................Thoughts?

This is a tough call!  So many advantages to an LS motor as far a clean, reliable, fast transportation.   But you would be adding a lot of complexity to the car, no doubt.  I personally love the simplicity of a giant big block in the Monte!   Heck, I was upset I had to put an electric fuel pump in mine as the 502 had no provision for a mechanical pump.

This would be just a weekend cruiser for you?   Which overdrive trans will you be running and can it handle a 496?

Here's what I did last night....... I was bored with the old steering wheel.....

Steve

That's a nice wheel, Steve!

What did you have before, the 4 spoke?

Drove my 71 on Woodward today. The Dream cruise is Sat Aug 18th. 

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

FYI our Detroit ABC station that has done a 2 hour Woodward Cruise event, for over a decade, live has announced it will be sent out across the USA this year (2018) for the first time. Normally it runs live here from 7 PM to 9 PM.

From Channel 7:

We, at WXYZ, are thrilled to be the official broadcast partner for the Cruise!  Once again, we’ll bring you all the excitement in our 2-hour prime-time broadcast on Channel 7 and streamed live on wxyz.com.  We’re also proud to share this made-in-Detroit experience through a 1-hour syndicated special that will be televised across America, from New York to L.A. (When??)

EH, another LS swap. Nothing like building up a 500hp engine to make it feel like a 300hp car.

Spend a tad more money and build up a nice small block or big block.

Quite a few big power LS engines out there. They blow away old school small blocks in almost every way, that's why so many have done the upgrade to LS power. It's all in the heads.

Now, big blocks, yeah, BIG blocks. Unless you're going for big inches and big cams, LS engines can outperform them too.

A real pet peev for me is to see an LS engine in a classic car, and for some reason they leave the Corvette engine cover on it.

Can't help but laugh... almost had me believing that Chevy Citation was a Vette. LOL.

The "LS" I'm thinking about is a LQ9 10:8 to 1 compression, with a  Comp Cams  .625/625 roller cam, carb. intake with Fitech fuel injection. This would be 530 hp(480) to the wheels. It would look like a SBC with Round Air Cleaner,retro -valve covers(chevrolet script) painted orange of course!!

Jim

A real pet peev for me is to see an LS engine in a classic car, and for some reason they leave the Corvette engine cover on it.

Can't help but laugh... almost had me believing that Chevy Citation was a Vette. LOL.

We had an 80 Citation and loved it

rob

The "LS" I'm thinking about is a LQ9 10:8 to 1 compression, with a  Comp Cams  .625/625 roller cam, carb. intake with Fitech fuel injection. This would be 530 hp(480) to the wheels. It would look like a SBC with Round Air Cleaner,retro -valve covers(chevrolet script) painted orange of course!!

That sounds nice! I'll confirm the Fitech LS systems work with a 4 barrel throttle body. I used an Edelbrock 3978 throttle body, all plugs in their harness mate with what's on the throttle body. I drilled a hole through it's side to position the air temp sensor over one of the primary throttles. You'll need to make up a hose to vacuum for the 3 bar MAP sensor they require.

post-201-0-69231500-1534094273_thumb.jpg

That's a nice wheel, Steve!

What did you have before, the 4 spoke?

Yes... I liked it but everyone kept saying it was the wrong wheel even though it was an option..... this is obviously and aftermarket....lol. I'm saving the other wheel in case I need to change again.

Steve

• Like 1

It was kind of a tough day, sold the 70 Monte. The new owner was pleased and saw what we all see in these cars in the way of value.

The 70 was a sb with buckets,console,AC,map light,fiber optics etc.

I still have the 71, not as good shape but means so much more to me as in the way of personal reasons.

• Like 2

Im Outside working on my Silverado parts for my truck when I turn around and see a Bay City PD Tahoe at the end of my driveway. I walk up to the officer. He is smiling from ear to ear. I have my 70 Monte parked at the end of the driveway so I can work on my truck parts. He tells me that he and his son are having a argument about which classic wheels look better on old cars. Cragars & American Racing. The Officer says that he is a Cragar SS fan. He stopped to get pictures of my monte and close ups of the Mags. LOL.

Rene and I thought was he was the one that was looking for me last year when I was coming back from a car show and horsing around. Pretty Cool I thought

• Like 3