What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

4 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Thank you Canuck. I agree. It did not though. I selected the 5 pics and only one posted. That is the color my pictured 71 402 4speed is supposed to be. What color interior is yours? I love your car by the way! Lololol

The interior is Sandalwood

457F962B-53DB-4710-B0E6-63BCDFFFE34E.jpeg

3E46FBC4-33D8-4048-A0EF-51ACBCCE528D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the majority of my projects as I had planned and am now going to take a bit of a break until I conjure up other tasks moving forward.  I think the pic's pretty much explains it..........  Spent the past few Months removing wax from body, used compound to clean up mild surface scratches and oxidization from paint & renewed painting lower trim & replacing missing/broken body molding clips/screws/misc.  No good pic's (no Sun) that will show difference and when conditions are right will provide them.  Anyway, decided to get a car cover to keep my work somewhat fresh over the Winter months.

She needs her beauty sleep......................:yay:

Doug

100_5971.JPG

100_5975.JPG

• Like 1

It's Christmas today!

These Viking front coil-overs, with the eye bearing lower mounts, have been $568.00 FOREVER no matter who was selling them. On Thanksgiving eve, everybody reduced them to $511.00. At the same time, eBay had a very short 15% "coupon sale", 15% off any purchase made with their app. The set cost me $434.00!

Viking.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, That is one beautiful Monte.... why oh why has it been hiding in the garage for so long, that car needs to be putt on the road and blow a lot of cobwebs out of it.  Thanks for sharing.

rob

Back in the day, the 70s & early 80s, when my brother had his blue '71 (which got me into all this) he had a cross flag emblem on the tail panel. Do doubt he pried it off some poor street parked Chevy back then. I still have it, it's well corroded. The decal on my car is to honor him-and he was tickled pink about it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like someone stole your wiper motor Aaron.  I see you already have it apart, that's more than half the battle.......figuring out how to get to all the nuts.  I am sure you know already but I will say it anyway.  There was more than one length of rods that actuate the master cylinder or booster so you have to make sure you are getting the right one.

If I remember correctly, you can look at the back side of the master cylinder and see how far in the actuator travels.  Again, I am more than likely telling you things you know.

Be sure you bench bleed the master cylinder to make system bleeding easier.  I see you already sealed off the lines as much as possible but I don't see the porportioning valve that the 70 had up top.

rob

• Like 1

Finished the total rebuild of my brake system this weekend. New hoses (all 3) calipers, cylinders, shoes, pad and proportioning valve. The entire system was packed with some nasty red mud looking material due to moisture getting in the system. Thankfully the stainless steel lines weren't clogged. Car brakes like a dream now. Finally getting to cruise around with the new 2004r/3:31 12 bolt Moser axle Eaton True Trac setup. Man, this car is funner than ever to drive now!

monte1.jpg

• Like 1

In reply to MC1 of 80 I think I've seen that car before. Go to google type in 1970 monte carlo with 4 speed for sale. There is a you tube video from 2011 for a 1971 monte with 402 4spd.It has New Jersey plates at that time  It looks just like your car the only difference was in the video the engine had MT valve covers. I just saw your pictures and thought I would comment on that. I think it is the same car. In fact I referenced that video to make note of the position of the shifter in neutral when I installed a console in my 70 4spd.

John S

Yes JohnS, you are correct. That is the car I am currently starting the restoration on. (Finally) My brother bought the car in 2011 from the owner, at the time who posted the video. 

The car is exactly as purchased except for the valve covers.  Between my brother and I, we have collected alot of parts for the resto. Im glad it helped you as a reference for your car. 

The car no longer looks like that. Lol The new AMD quarters and tulip panel are installed and I am doing the bodywork. Hopefully can get the body done before the spring.  

14 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Looks like someone stole your wiper motor Aaron.  I see you already have it apart, that's more than half the battle.......figuring out how to get to all the nuts.  I am sure you know already but I will say it anyway.  There was more than one length of rods that actuate the master cylinder or booster so you have to make sure you are getting the right one.

If I remember correctly, you can look at the back side of the master cylinder and see how far in the actuator travels.  Again, I am more than likely telling you things you know.

Be sure you bench bleed the master cylinder to make system bleeding easier.  I see you already sealed off the lines as much as possible but I don't see the porportioning valve that the 70 had up top.

rob

Thanks Rob. Considering it is my first booster swap I appreciate the advice. The booster came with two rods so I need to determine the correct one. I have the proportioning valve, I removed it to give some space. :)

13 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Thanks Rob. Considering it is my first booster swap I appreciate the advice. The booster came with two rods so I need to determine the correct one. I have the proportioning valve, I removed it to give some space. :)

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on one of these proportioning valve block off tools before you bleed your system. It locks the valve in place where it cannot trip on you.  They made those things to where if they trip on the front you can reset them, but if they trip to the rear drums you are screwed and have to buy a new valve.

s-l400.jpg

Spent several hours in the storage garage for my Monte working under the hood to remove my Air Conditioning so send things to be restored.

rob

Continued my 1970 brake project this weekend. New booster installed. I painted the new master cylinder and my metering valve with a cast iron looking paint before bench bleeding and installation. They will need some touching up after installation since there’s always some drips and splashes of fluid during the bench bleeding process. I used the old booster as a place to mount the master cylinder for painting. Also installing new shoes and rear wheel cylinders before bleeding the system.

5DBA2892-64E9-4451-B074-63C95EB2EFC0.jpeg

A7EEF737-CCF2-4A1B-B917-6EC67F3ADDC0.jpeg

81AAF158-15F0-47B7-B96A-EAE067ACFC94.jpeg

2638D087-6FE7-4C5A-B68F-06B4A04DE1A6.jpeg

Looks great Aaron! Quick tip on those wheel cylinders- WC37024 Raybestos is the part number you need in case you don't have them already. I only say this because some of the box stores sell two types of brake cylinders for these cars. One type has a much flatter surface and seal whereas the other has more of a domed surface. Our cars call for the flat surface/seal type of wheel cylinder. I just went through all of this on my '72 so I thought I'd throw that out there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...