What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

No, lol just never seen that clip there before. The parts cars I have, that have the pad on them (most are missing) all have some staples not all in the same place but I haven't seen that clip before.

Thanks

Willie,

In that picture it looks to me like 4 staples and 2 (two) of those #2 clips.  It looks like another one around the 11:00 o-clock position.  I can tell you though, when I replaced my original inner fender wells neither of them had those clips, only staples.  My Monte was built in June of 1970 in Baltimore.

rob

Thanks Rob, I thought it was strange to see them in the pic because I never seen them before on any flap. Granted God only knows the stories behind my parts cars. lol  When I get in there on Mon or Tues I will give it a better look. I still am thinking 6 or 7 because I don't want them to sag when I am done. lol

Thanks for the help Rob and Paul

Today, my Monte was washed, which it hasn't had in over two decades.

Although it's been covered most of that time, the blue vinyl top had some visible dirt between the grain. Scrubbing it with a brush did a good job, the soap foam turned a little brown.

The oldies at Chevelles were pretty unanimous that 303 Aerospace Protectant was the best stuff to use-so I did.

Here's after washing then after applying the 303. A little more shiny than I thought it'd be but I'm sure it'll dull down a bit in a day or two.

I'm down to just weeks now before this car is registered and driveable. I can't wait.

roof 1.jpg

roof 2.jpg

• Like 3

Well I had registered for a car show today, I'm not a big car show participant but they usually pull 650 plus cars so its a good day. The weather forecast hasn't been good but I was hoping for the best, unfortunately the radar map shows 2 hours of rain and scattered thunderstorms over the show grounds this morning so the Monte will sit in the garage. Maybe it will blow over fast and i can show up fashionable late lol. Ok rant over sorry

On 4/28/2019 at 6:53 AM, DragCat said:

Well I had registered for a car show today, I'm not a big car show participant but they usually pull 650 plus cars so its a good day. The weather forecast hasn't been good but I was hoping for the best, unfortunately the radar map shows 2 hours of rain and scattered thunderstorms over the show grounds this morning so the Monte will sit in the garage. Maybe it will blow over fast and i can show up fashionable late lol. Ok rant over sorry

Well as someone once said, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour cause it will change. So thats what I did and only had 2 smatterings of rain, not enough to even bother rolling up the windows. Great day, over 800 cars showed up and 3 first gen monte's. One with an LS swap, one with a beefed up SBC and drivetrain and mine. Lots of cool cars, lots of cool people and the sheriffs office showed up with their helicopter and K9 unit who put on a cool show themselves. I know the trophy says January, that was the originaly planned date, canceled due to weather so yesterday was the rescheduled date. Even without the trophy it was a great day. IMG_1834.thumb.jpg.640911d83e50fe4744e6623089ae4a31.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations!

Two of my favorite things, first gen Monte Carlos and Sinclair!

• Like 1

Tacklrd my lame driver door lock today and found another problem after starting the car this AM.  Had a rattle somewhere near the front of the motor.  Isolated it to the Balancer where after checking the 3 pulley bolts that hold pulley onto balancer, two had loosened up some, so got that fixed.  The door lock actuator plunger shaft was corroded so bad it just froze up.  Pulled the door panel, removed, cleaned and lubricated the shaft and moves up and down freely again.  There was a hole in the boot that let water seep onto boot and held it there until it seeped into hole thru boot.  Repaired boot and will be more diligent with water in this area even though I believe it shouldn't happen again.

Anyway, the rattle which originally thought to be inside motor as the rattle sounded internal turned out be tightening and that was a relief.

Until the next burp............................ Sorry, no pics of the work but here is a couple of the car while I was getting ready to work on her.

Doug 

100_6265.JPG

100_6264.JPG

100_6263.JPG

100_6262.JPG

100_6261.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a pic of the inner IMG_1039.JPG.b53e25080b1761eaaba028817f37fc6a.JPGwells, they are not done I think they need another coat or two, but it has been raining so cant get them outside yet.

The 70 got a tuneup today (points, condenser, pcv, dwell, timing) and my 71 was the parts store runner.

C5E23208-5F68-4E5A-A08B-7860E819D4F0.jpeg

08E46BD9-0D9C-4658-A355-A1C49FF249DB.jpeg

1A57444C-43DE-4FA0-81C5-448AA33F2CA0.jpeg

• Like 1

The centre cap fairy arrived. I found these in my trunk the other day after my parents visited. My dad left them in there for me to discover. What a great guy!

15F22EEE-5C89-4127-A977-4C412A67E852.jpeg

Just wanted to add how much i'm enjoying everyones updates and the pictures, except Aaron who has 2 first gens lol (of course i' kidding). I'm digging Douglas's white Monte for sure and Walters updates on his work in progress. Being a new Monte owner I like seeing what others are doing, and their pictures cause as we all know we are never really done tinkering with our cars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

The centre cap fairy arrived. I found these in my trunk the other day after my parents visited. My dad left them in there for me to discover. What a great guy!

15F22EEE-5C89-4127-A977-4C412A67E852.jpeg

Well Aaron, the boxes are nice but I think pictures of the center caps would be nicer to look at.

rob

3 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Well Aaron, the boxes are nice but I think pictures of the center caps would be nicer to look at.

rob

Well NOS in the box I’m sure you can imagine. I only opened 2 so far.

I stared to take my custom rear seat apart and to my surprise I found a build sheet or whats left of it,

IMG_1046.JPG.ee4cef69de7da7bc5bb93220dd63d909.JPG

When I put the seats away they were all rusted and I didn't notice the build sheet, so it must of been lunch for the critters from where I got the car.

I have 1 build sheet already, and pieces of another so I consider myself lucky to begin with. I still have to disassemble the buckets to see what I will

find there.

I went and ordered a second set of tires for mine and then went and did my best to drive the old wheels off of it. I'm also definitely going to get the a/c working again. All in all I'm happy to have the car up and running again. Right now with the suspension upgraded the way it is the tires give up before the suspension does and the bench seat does a poor job of keeping me in place.