Windshield water leak

Shnalla

Hi all,

Water is leaking from my windshield. I'd like to fix that but I'm not sure what's the best way to do it. I don't know how to properly remove the chrome trim outside...

Any advice is welcome ! Thanks cool

If your windshield doesn't need replaced I would talk to a local glass shop to see if they could remove it. They have a better chance at pulling it without breaking it. You'll want to clean the windshield channel out and to see if there is any metal rusted out and take care of that first. Then have them come back to install the glass. That would be the best and maybe cheapest way. IMO

ditto

If the glass is original, I'd go ahead and replace it while you got it out. Around here you can have one installed glass and all for $200-250.

I see you are in another country, probably cost way more there.

I have never removed the metal trim but I think it just snaps onto the clips. I think there is a tool to make removal easier.

If you have issues finding new glass or a shop to remove and install your old one and you attempt to do this yourself it can be done. Once the trim is removed, remove as much of the sealant as possible. Remove as much interior trim and the dash pad. Find some wire, like piano string and feed it into the sealant so it protrudes to the inside and outsides of the glass and using two people work the wire all the way around the glass, cutting through the sealant.

Prior to this, build standup padded jig that you can stand the glass up vertically while you clean out any old sealant and repair any rust. While removing the glass have as many trustworthy assistants as needed.

prior to cutting the sealant, take numerous photos of the placement of not only the windshield glass but also the trim clips.

Rob

Mine was too, I just put in a new windshield, the old one was pitted and impossible to see through driving into the sun. But if your windshield is in good condition the advice above makes the most sense.