Cruise Control help!

Hi guys, smile Am working toward what will probably be my last major upgrade for the Monte and need some additional detail to install as close to factory as practical.

What I am looking for are detailed pics featuring brackets, mounting and connections (cables/hoses). I have much of the info but have nothing showing bracket and mounting for throttle cable that cruise would hook into.

Regardless if factory or otherwise, would appreciate any assistance in helping me determine how I will set up this unit.

Don't have a lot of expertise on this and some detailed pics would come in real handy in installing this unit. I may have to make a bracket for the servo to mount on fender and have no idea on what the bracket needs to be that would mount on engine for cables to Carb. The transducer part I think I have enough info for placement. I think I have all the components less servo and throttle mounting bracket. May need new cables made for the speedometer and for tranny hookup.

Any advise, pics would help out greatly. Have some pics that are useful but again, nothing showing bracket/cables linkage to Carb.

Looking on various Chevelle sites hadn't helped much but boy, didn't realize most Chevelles made were 396/454 SS 4 speed cars kicking

Appreciate any help with this. Once done with this project, I can start looking to other enhancements for beautification. cool

Thanx in advance. grin

Doug

I added cruise over 22 years ago. I was sold to me as being for my 71 Monte Carlo but I don't think it really was. It came with all the brackets and speedo cables and hoses. There is a vacuum dump valve under the dash next to the brake light switch. Here are the pictures I have noting the cable to the carb bracket isn't correct but has worked for 22+ years.

71 350 4BBL automatic cruise pics

carb pics cruise

One important factor was to ground the unit since I have plastic inner fenders. The one factory cruise I saw that was installed at the factory, had a different harness with a built in ground wire that mine did not have.

Bruce

Really appreciate the pics Bruce, especially the bracket linkage set up at Carb. grin I was totally clueless on how it was configured. confused

I am pretty sure mine isn't factory that I plan on using but from my research is as close as I will likely get. As long as I can keep it within the circa of options, it will do just fine. smile

Not a real common item for our Montes and hard to find good pics showing the detail I need. I did put steel inner fenders in so the ground issue wont be a problem and that in itself changes the equation on a true factory installation anyways.

Thanx again Bruce. You have a lot of excellent information documented with pictures! cool

Doug

Doug,

My '72 was a factory cruise car. My bracket at the carburetor is exactly like Bruce's photo except the bracket is in the front of the bracket coming from the carburetor mounting stud instead of behind it. But, looking at his picture, I like it mounted behind better. On the other hand, my car is 44 years old and the carburetor is not the original so who knows what could have been changed.

I remember prior to drilling any holes I hooked up the speedo cables to see where the unit would reach to. Good thing I did because I was going to mount it toward the front more but it would fit. I bought a complete unit as a back up but couldn't get it to function properly, it kept surging so I cleaned the insides of mine and it was good to go again.

Is there something else you need or different / better pictures taken? Glad I was of some help.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, this may be a tall order but could use a picture of the Servo attached to Servo bracket. As I was looking through my Cruise Control parts today I realized the Servo is the type with long boot that typically would attach forward of Transducer on Inner Fender. Also determined the Servo itself is not correct for my application.

I found the bracket for Servo cable connection to throttle bracket and the post that attaches to Carb linkage that secures Servo cable to throttle (if that makes any sense).

I think finding the correct Servo with bracket will complete my parts needs and give appearance of a circa Cruise Control.

Thanx for any input. smile

PS - Went to a local car show today and out of 400 to 600 cars, not one 1st Gen Monte! nutz

Doug

What?

:-) OK i will try to do that Sunday.

I have to bug my nephew again, I hear he just purchased a box on NOS cruise control units but he didn't know what year or even what decade they are from.

Bruce

20140514_092010.jpg

20140514_091959.jpg

20140514_092034.jpg

Hello guys. Here is some pics of my factory cruise on my 72 custom. I may have posted these before but im not sure. So here they are again. It still works great to! And I do have a ground wire

Doug,

I just added two new pictures, just click on the link in my above post again.

I hope between the nice pics from Eric and the two new ones I added, your questions will be answered.

I didn't want to drill any more than two holes in my, then new, plastic fenders so I piggy backed one servo bolt with the other module.

That would be great Bruce. Also interested in procuring the Servo & Servo bracket. So if you have or know where one might be available, I have a interest in one.

Eric, that was likely me who you posted pictures for. They were helpful in identifying Transducer and related attachments. I now need a comparable Servo and attached Servo bracket. Looking for a decent picture describing it so I can identify what I am looking for.

Thanx,

Doug

Doug, do you have an Assembly manual? Just pulled mine out and there are several pages of diagrams for the 'Cruise Control' option............

Doug, do you have an Assembly manual? Just pulled mine out and there are several pages of diagrams for the 'Cruise Control' option............

My Assembly Manual does not talk or describe Cruise Control. There must be a more complete version than the one I possess. It says (1972 Chevelle and El Camino / Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Instruction Manual).

What is the one you have?

Doug

Hey Doug let me know if you still need pics. DB

Appreciate it Doug but I think Bruce may be able to hook me up with identifying the Servo in question. I found what I believe to be the bracket for it but not totally convinced I am right.

Doug

That's the manual I have, section 6N, sheet 6 thru 10.

As I live and breath (@%*%!#). The one section I purposely spent searching and still missed it. blush Should have rebooted and then tried again. coffee2

That will certainly help with install and the diagram targets the Servo and bracket I am in need of. Looks like a Servo bracket would not be difficult to make if it should come to that.

Thanx Murphy for showing me the way! wink

Doug