Confused on front end height.

Hey guys,

I just put new wheels on the monte. And noticed because of it i really needed to lower the front end. There was a large gap between top of tire and fender. So last night i cut a coil off on the driver side hoping to drop it at least an inch if not 2 inches. So after i did that i stood back and looked and it looks like it didn't do hardly anything. So, this morning i came out to cut the other side to make it match and i realize that the passenger side is a lot lower.

Pass side- not cut

Driver side- 1 coil cut off

passenger side is lower by 1.5 inches.

What in the hell is going on?

I should have mentioned... I bought these springs new and have about 10 miles on them. The most confusing part is it's not just the front. It's the front and back. Passenger side sits lower than driver side. I haven't touched the rear suspension.

ok, so i just did some measuring... the rear coil overs are the same measurement so one is not more worn out than the other (like i thought). I measure the shocks and the passenger side shock is at 17 inches and the driver side is at 18 inches. This would explain where i am getting the inch difference. But what doesn't make sense is the mounts should be the same so what's causing one to be longer than the other? I'm super confused

First thing measure at the frame then see what you have. Depending on the frame and how ridged it is and having one spring with less pressure ( the one you cut) that will change the weight on the 3 others. Then see where you are at. Also, make sure you move the car front and back a few feet to get the suspension back to its natural position after you had It jacked up. Always make your measurements to a common point on the frame rail. Once the frame sits right, then go to the body ( body mounts and such) don't forget after every change move the car before you measure

thanks for the info! It has always had a small lean to the passenger side but i guess i didn't know if was this bad until i changed wheels and tires. I drove it up and down the street a couple times thinking maybe the spring wasn't in the right place.

Everything still seems to stay the same. Not sure what's going on. I will take some more measurements.

Luke, I'd almost be willing to bet that you did not get the top of the coil you cut on the driver's side correctly seated over the locator flange in the top inside of your frame. IMO this is the easiest thing to screw up when you install the front coils and it makes a huge difference in both ride height and spring operation. The locator flanges (two semi-circles) go inside the coil. Since the semi-circle flanges do not close together but have a gap between them, it is very easy to get the spring cocked off to one side or the other when you raise the lower A arm to reconnect the steering knuckle. The upper portion of the coil with then bind against the opening in the frame because the spring is not properly centered.

I have had to re-do a front spring installation twice - once when I didn't know about the locator flanges and once when I knew about them and was trying hard to do it right. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure this is a rather common problem.

I'm just guessing here because of the way you described the problem, but it may be something else entirely. Wouldn't hut to check ...

Mcfan

I know what you are talking about since I actually did have it installed wrong the first time. But I took it back apart and fixed it...

It just doesn't make sense. All the body mounts are in. The rear coil overs are same height. I've measured and remeasured everything multiple times. The only difference is the shocks in the rear. One is longer than the other. Idk if this is binded up and won't let that side come down or what.

I guess I could always take the rear shocks out and see what happens. Idk I'm frustrated and done working on it for today. Try again tomorrow.

I'd start with taking the rear shocks off and remeasuring. Make sure the shocks aren't at the end of their travel. When I went with bigger coils to get the height I wanted, my shocks were all at the end of travel. I had to get different shocks the whole way around.

ok, So i took the from sway bar off to make sure it wasn't binding at all. I took the rear shocks off as well. I jacked up the car and measured the distances and everything was identical. But i still had only cut 1 coil off of the driver side so i went ahead and cut the passenger side as well. From the back the car is straight level!

When i measured the fronts again of course the driver side still has a larger gap from top of tire to fender. So when the car is jacked up the measurements are the same. When i let it back down the driver side sits higher... What could it be? i feel like I've tried everything!!!

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/hairyapeman/library/?sort=3&page=1

Not sure how to add pictures so this is easiest for me. Go to the link and you will see where there is a roughly 1.5 inch difference between driver and passenger side. Also, act like you don't see the different colored fender. smile

• 2 weeks later...