A/C control faceplate question

cbolt

I just installed a new faceplate on my A/C control panel as part of "Monte facelift 2014" and noticed the backing material under the faceplate has some wrinkles in it which are noticeable if you look closely at it. While I had the panel apart I noted the black backing is some sort of paper that is cut to fit. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this backing paper wrinkling and how you solved it. Also the original faceplate has blue paint on the right side. Is this blue area necessary to keep the light from shining through too brightly on the right side of the panel? The dash is still in pieces in my family room so I cannot hook it up and see what happens yet. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

If your lens is still good, take it off, and just paint the front side of the control black, that will eliminate any future wrinkling. Semi-Flat Krylon will do the trick. Good time to replace the lens if its messed up.

grin

I replaced mine when I did my dash and it has a couple wrinkles in it already. But I'm looking at replacing the control panel with... Oops. Can give out that info. Gonna be a surprise! lol

What did you use for the backing material? I just painted mine and due to the chrome type finish the paint had difficulty adhering correctly to the surface, causing little blemishes which will probably be unacceptable once it is installed and backlit. I may try a quick scuff with sandpaper and reapplication of the paint but am also considering a paper backing similar to the original material. I am sure I can find something close at a craft store.

Use sign vinyl that sticks or the automotive exterior vinyl they use for racing stripes. Try going to a Kinkos where the FedEx dropoff places are. They have a Dept. in there that makes vinyl signs. I'm sure they could help you out. If you can't find it let me know. I'll mail you a pc. I'm pretty sure I owe you a favor. You sent me the mirror when I was in FL. I'm leaving to head back at the end of Sept. Let me know.

Carl

Hey Carl, thanks! I have been working night shift and just woke up to find all the posts on this thread.

I did get a new faceplate which doesn't come with the backing paper.

Jared. I did sand the surface prior to painting, I must not have done a good enough job.

You guys are the best.