picking new sway bars

monte0

So can someone give me some direction on what combination is the best to go with for drag racing and daily driving? I was looking at a axle mounted rear sway link below

http://scandc.com/new/node/267

As for the front should I stay on the smaller side since I'm drag racing?

when at the track, disconnect the front sway bar links

I'm aware of that but I'm more along the lines trying to find what combo handles (bigger front/back, bigger back/smaller front, etc.)the best and still is good for racing too. Mainly trying to figure out the rear since the front can be disconnected pretty easy.

I would simply call Mark at Sevitskes Classic & Customs @ the link you posted above. He is a wealth of information regarding anything suspension.

Good choice for the rear bar. The Hellwig bar attaches to frame cross member rather than the lower trailing arms. This offers much more torsional regidity than stock location. They also have three settings. Street/ Performance Street & track. If you want it to act as a drag bar atthe track simply disconnect the sway bar link and adjust to stiffest seting. When back on the street bolt it back to your street setting.

Not only do Hellwigs have a bit more technology built into them but they are the least expensive. FYI: I didn't like the silver hammered effect powder coating so they did mine in regular satin black.

Dan

Not sure about the size of the front bar if you are planning on an LS swap. It will be determined based on the weight of the block as compared to that of the old iron blocks. I am sure Mark has set up many A-bodies with LS Motor swaps and has a pretty good idea what is needed to achieve optimal results.

Regardless of the front bar that you choose the solid heavy duty end links are a must.

Hopefully we will see her next year at the Eastern Meet in Carlisle. If you shoot me a PM with your email I can send pics of my suspension front/back before we dropped body on. You do not have an email included on your profile.

Dan

As for the front should I stay on the smaller side since I'm drag racing?

No need to go smaller but go "hollow" as they are so much lighter. I went huge "and" unfortunately went solid...I forget what it weighs but it's a lot. As it was mentioned disconnecting the front sway bar end links helps the car with weight transfer.

• 3 weeks later...

i got the helwig front and rear set.....the rear i went with the one that mounts to the axle and to the frame cross member...after i compared all the ones from BMR..UMI..hotkis and others..these got the best reviews and were actually cheaper than all the rest...check em out