Wiper not working

71MonteCarloMD

Guys - need your help/guidance on how to determine the issue I am having with wiper not working since I bought the '71 2 years ago. I checked the connections for switch and motor which seems to be secured - I am not sure if it's the wiper motor or the wiper switch that is bad - any guidance on what I should check?

Rick

Then make sure the transmission (arms) aren't rusty causing poor/no ground. There is what looks like a ball/socket joint that, if rusted, will cause the wipers not to work.

Your first check should always be power. If no power is present at the motor and the fuse is good then the switch is likely your culprit.

Good luck

If your fuse is good refer to the connector on the wiper motor with 3 wires going to it.

Test 1: With the key in the "on" position, check for power at the center wire (circuit 93). If you have power there go on to test 2. If you have no power to the center wire, trace circuit 93 to the source looking for an open circuit.

Test 2: With the key in the run position, connect a ground wire to the terminal to the right of the power wire on the motor(circuit 91). If the motor functions suspect a bad wiper switch or an open in the wiring between the switch and the motor. If the motor does not operate, insure the motor has a good ground to the body and repeat test 2. If the motor still doesn't function remove the motor for further testing.

• 2 years later...

Unplug connector from the motor and replace the fuse again and turn the switch on again. If the fuse blows without the motor connector disconnected you have a short in the wiring someplace, if it doesn't blow it is more than likely a bad/shorted motor.

Rob, thanks as I disconnected from motor, replaced fuse and tested with switch which have power to end of wire without blowing fuae. I put my old motor back in which didnt work. And it didnt blow fuse. Guess I bought a bad motor that I would need new one?

I bought reman one from Auto Advanced, it now works. I find this odd when I added passenger side arm, I couldnt get it to turn off. When I removed passenger side arm, it works fine on drivers side with off, slow and fast. Tried adding passenger side, it was continuous even when switch is set to off. What is the issue?

Rick, glad it helped. I got my new wiper motor & pump assembly from Advance Auto. The first one I got from them didn't work but the second one was good.

rob

It seems odd to me with one blade works as it should. Does that means the wiper motor is defective?

Do you mean one of the two blades work or one of the two motors. If only one blade works that would be a bad transmission linkage.

rob

Rob, sorry if I wasnt clear - I had both blades off during front end restoration. I put in new motor without both blades for testing which worked very well. Added drivers side blade in, tested again which worked fine. Then added passenger side blade that works fine but could not turn it off. Reverting one step back with drivers side blade only which will shut off. Tried install passenger side blade, same results with cannot shut off. Hope I am explaining it clearly?

I am not sure how to fix that issue after adding passenger side blade?

That is odd. I know when I bought mine it came with some instructions for proper programing but I don't remember it covering anything like you are describing.

rob

Sorry, I can only remember a problem I had that was caused by a poor ground. Since the motor is bolted to the firewall with rubber insulators for noise reduction, there is a separate ground, I think it was like a metal band, not a wire. (I should go look at mine)

Try adding a temporary external ground to the base of the motor, to see if it helps.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks as the wiper motor works without the washer motor mounted by turning on and off, am not sure how the washer motor should be mounted. Seems to me that the black plastic part is kinda broken that cant put wiper motor in parking spot that I would need new washer motor?

My 71 shop manual has over 5 pages on wiper motors! WOW! Good Luck!

Bruce

The washer has to be lined up to the wiper motor. There is a hole in pump and in body of motor. Line them up and put a pin in to hold it in place.(paper clip or something) Then put it together. It sounds like you also have some kind of park issue.