Wheel/Tire suggestion?

Alli got me a very nice gift cert for Summit as I've been looking at wheels and tires for about a year now.

Gone through the wheel and tire database here and given myself a heck of a headache.

Basically the general feeling here seems to be a 17x8, with a 4.5" backspace, is safe and I'm looking at 245/45/17

Question is, 4" or 4.5" backspace, and should I or could I use a 255/50/17? That is only 1/4" wider than my 245/60/15 on there now on factory rally's. The backspace on the factory is 4" correct?

I want to do no trimming and no rubbing!!!!

As always, help from the Monte gurus is appreciated

use the 4.5 back space, you should be able to run the 255/50 with a 8" wheel, I have a 9" and it's very! close, so with a 8" you should be good

it won't work with the 4" B.S. if anything go to a 5" B.S.

Also, the 245/60R15s are going to have a wider section width than the 17" tires due to a larger amount of sidewall and, in all likelyhood, a softer construction. You should be alright with the 4.5" bs like Sam was saying, and I don't think you'd have a problem running the 255s on it.