Manual steering?

Malyc

So, I was wondering if anyone out there either has a monte that they converted to manual steering, and what kind of boxes would fit these cars.

I'm doing it right now because one of the lines for the power steering blew... Plus I'd like to take a bit more drag off the engine. I'm young yet, plenty of energy ;)

Found a manual steering box from a '69 Chevelle for $20 off ebay... Will that fit? And if so, will I need any other parts or is it an easy take out bolt in job?

Well, that was more an "Am I going to need parts to make it happen, or just the box?" type question.

Though the engine swap would have gone quite smoothly if my cherry picker had 6" more reach. >.>

As it sits now, I'm having to run the power steering with no pump because it and one of the lines gave up the ghost. I'll see what I can find for power boxes, I guess.

That's a thing that's going to happen too, though even before the line went the steering felt... unresponsive, I guess. Was just thinking about running through the whole thing to stop something else from going out. 

Why. I also cant imagine Wrestling with that Monster. I don't have my powersteering pump hooked up yet in my '70. I keep forgetting about no power steering when I move it out of the garage every now and thing. It's a pain in the Butt trying maneuver around the driveway.

It is as direct a bolt in as you would find (I think).. 6 plus turns stop to stop is definately not a quick ratio, but you won't get Popeye arms from driving atound either !

Already have the popeye arms from work, lifting tires that weigh an average of 125 pounds for 10 hours a day will do that. 

• 8 months later...

I'm looking into manual steering as well what did you end up doing?

It's not hard to drive a manual box car and there is way more steering feedback, I prefer it, I dailyed a elcamino with manual box and a tiny aftermarket steering wheel. Plus it's got to be 40lbs off the front end

Our Monte Carlo's did come with Manual steering as well on certain models. I know a fella that has a 1971 Monte Carlo and is a 402 4spd car and it has Manual steering from the Factory and also has NO clutch fan just a straight blade with no moving clutch at all also from the factory that way..

Sam you know who I am talking about..

Dont forget when you change the box you WILL have to shorten the Intermediate shaft length as the Power Steering shaft is longer. The manual box has about a 6-7 reach on the shaft from the box to where the knuckle or rag joint does up...

Darren.

OMG I couldn't imagine trying to wrestle these boats into a corner with manual

My 402/4 speed was built with manual steering.  It was fine if the car was moving down the road, but nearly impossible to parallel park or turn around.  I put factory power steering on it and never looked back - what a relief!