Brake master cylinder

overdrive

I want to rebuild and restore my master cylinder, if it's the original. So far, I've blasted and clear coated it, and the part # is 2226311. This is the only pic I have at the moment. Is it possible that this is the original part?

Dan

post-339-0-25591400-1424399687_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's possible, even probable. You appear to have a Bendix master cylinder instead of a Delco-Moraine.  I wasn't able to find that part number specifically, but your photo of the piston assembly and the shape of the housing both clearly match the cross-sectional drawing of the Bendix unit that was factory installed interchangeably with the Delco on Montes  (per the 1970 Chassis Overhaul Manual). Both of my '70s came with the Delco unit but I replaced the Delco assembly on my SS with a re-manufactured Bendix assembly.  It works just fine, of course, but I far prefer the look of the Delco unit so I plan to rebuild and reinstall the original assembly this summer.

I dont want to say for sure but I thought factory master cylinders had bleeders just above the line connections. I know many did but I'm not positive all did.

Rob