front and rear bumpers question

mikenewman

I have two very straight bumpers and they are in need of rechrome. would you get after market or try to find a rechrome place. not any around where I live so they would have to be shipped.

Tri City does very good work on bumpers, they do want to start with as best of core as possible.

But the front repros for price paid and quality are hard to beat and they are just as heavy as the originals.

Look out on reproduction rear bumpers they do fit good, and factory bumper guards mount right up too, BUT the one on my red car has busted the back up lens twice now. :devil: I thought something hit it the first time, got some new ones from Trim Parts, done it again, the fit is to tight, hasn't done it on the driver side, but both times on passenger side.

FYI. Tri city straightened a not so great front bumper and welded the usual crack in the rear by the taillight in mine. I was kind of shocked at how good a job they did on my front one. All included in the price, and lifetime warranty on chrome. Can't beat that!!!

• Like 1

Ok...so just out of curiosity what is the average price to re-chrome a bumper down there???..I got a price of almost 900.00 up here..ouch!!!..I was like W.T.*. ???

I had mine done a number of years ago so I am not sure of their prices now but I think you could almost get two bumpers done at Tri-City for the price they are asking.  It all depends upon what you want.  If you are talking a show car then Paul's Chrome in Western Pennsylvania is where people from all over the country send their bumpers to have them plated in "Show Quality Chrome"  They are perfectionists but they would more than likely be in your 900 range.  Tri-City does a good job on most jobs.  

Rob

Tri-city was going to charge me around $350 for my rear bumper. As a matter of fact they should have a rear bumper ready to ship due to a communication problem between them and me. A phone call will answer all your questions.

Drop off at Carlisle and pick up at Carlisle works too for Tri-city we did that on a rear bumper for our Nomad they even welded up a hole for a trailer. Played with the ideal of pulling my bumper guards off my 70 to get done but didn't think I'll have them back in time for GM national.

I have two very straight bumpers and they are in need of rechrome. would you get after market or try to find a rechrome place. not any around where I live so they would have to be shipped.

I had a set of bumpers rechromed at Knox Custom Chrome in Knoxville, TN. They were awesome and $250 each, but that was many years ago.

Tri-City is also in TN, not sure where you are in Kentucky, but both could be not too far from you?

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a true ss bumper I purchased on ebay all bent split extra holes drilled for trailer hitch back from Tri-city plating in TN owner Mr. Potter, ABSOLUTLY FLAWLESS show condition $375 plus shipping. Please note pay no mind to what looks like a flaw or grain in restored bumper pictures it from me rubbing my hands over it. Note area below lic bracket were their was 4 holes now repaired & done perfect. Happy Happy Happy.

post-36-0-20597700-1430954988_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-95802800-1430955010_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-05544000-1430955064_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-33001200-1430955082_thumb.jpg

Great news! They look great.

They did by bumpers too in 2007 and filled the 2 holes at the bottom for my old hitch. I think 2 are used for my license plate holder.

Bruce

post-76-0-05726300-1430957689_thumb.jpg

Brue, Your look awesome also & I assume they are holding up just fine?. Ill be sending out my front one in fall. I'm wondering how long before EPA or some agency puts a halt to company's like this, Like what they did to real cad plating, which was a process using potassium cyanide & dangerous. a few company's can still do it, But only for the military I am told?.

Happy it worked well for you.

Bruce