looking for a little guidance

The front end of my monte needs some attention I have considerable play when driving with the steering wheel. and I plan on fixing this and maybe doing the a arms? I would like to keep the car as original as possible. I don't plan on racing it will just be a cruiser. just not really sure what to look for on a basic overhaul. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Chad

post-2160-0-94305700-1433801475_thumb.jpg

first you need to check all your tie rods, idler arm and make sure they are good or bad

a lot of play can come from the steering box, which can be adjusted some times

A  qualified alignment shop would be able to diagnose your front suspension play and advise/perform the work for you.  If wanting to do it yourself, they generally will supply you with the fix info after inspection.  Of course, will require a fee for that inspection..

Doug

Looking at your thumbnail picture, it appears you have the knowledge and ability to do a complete front suspension rebuild yourself. It also appears it would be difficult to take it to a repair or alignment shop for a diagnosis. I agree with Sam on the items he suggested. If your car is apart as much as the Thumbnail shows it will make the job that much easier.

You didn't mention how many miles are on the car and if the front end has ever been rebuilt. If it hasn't I would just go ahead and replace all the upper and lower A-Arm bushings, ball joints. Idler arm, tie rods. Stabilizer Bushings, shocks, springs and any other moving parts.

Just a note here..... if you have never done a front suspension, most of it isn't brain surgery but one warning here for you, to prevent needing brain surgery or any other surgery I want to warn you how much tension is on those front springs. The most critical tool you should have on hand (many Advance Auto or PepBoys loan or rent) a coil spring compressor and you will want to use one for both the removal and installation of these springs. I would not have any little kids roaming around the garage for that part of the job.

Rob

Thanks Rob, To my knowledge the front end has never been rebuilt. I believe it has about 140,000+ miles if memory serves right. She definitely needs attention,and I do plan on doing it myself, and still need to research tools, supply's, knowledge etc... and wanted to start here to get the gears rolling in my head.

I agree with the others that I will take it to a suspension shop for final inspection when i'm done

My plan is to first fix the heater and ac systems while the motor is still in and I can test them easily. second is to take the motor and transmission out and fix trainee leak, and paint the motor. third fix suspension, fourth do body work and the list goes on and on. So i don't have too much of a rush for suspension parts right now but want to keep the parts coming in when the time is right.

Thanks guys glad that i joined the club!

Chad

With 140 k on it you may just want to rebuild it, I am not one for just throwing parts on anything but with that ammount of miles its probably pretty loose. But you can check for play in all the steering parts. As far as the a arrms unless there bent or rusted or cut up or you just want to upgrade there probably fine. But yes be carefull with the springs they can hurt real bad.

If you want to keep the Upper and Lower A-Arms as original, before you order the bushings you will want to make sure they are all round or if most of the round with also oval bushings.  Mine had round and oval bushings..    The ball joints and a-arm bushings are pressed in and riveted in   The ball joints that are riveted will be replaced with ones that bolt in.  The a-arm bushings will need to be pressed out and new ones pressed in.  Some of this can be done by you BUT I found it easier to pay to have the bushings pressed in.

Like we have said before, the springs are the most dangerous part of the job.  Since it is a job you will rarely do just rent a spring compressor.  The other special tool you will need is a Pickle Fork to separate the ball joints, Tie Rod ends, idler arm etc.  The pickle fork and good heavy hammer are worth the investment.  These can be purchased many places including Harbor Freight.  Harbor Freight tools are inexpensive and many of their things are not GREAT Quality, but since what I buy there are things I will rarely use I wouldn't think twice about buying them there.  If it is a tool I will use regularly I would usually buy a higher quality tool.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

jus rebuild the front suspension..PST sells a kit with all you need for a stock rebuild. check to see if the lower control arm bushings are round or oval then order the kit..gives you everything you need except a new stering box. thats what i did. i went with poly bushing instead of rubber but thats up to you. goo dluck and i have pics if you need em 

I did the PST kit over 24 years ago with Poly bushings. Pressing in the new bushings was the biggest challenge. I had access to a press at work but they wouldn't press in all the way so I went to a machine show friend and he helped me press them in using his better equipment. After several years the poly bushings started to squeak. I started to spray them with silicone that did help but if I replace then again I will use rubber. I was able to sand blast and paint everything (snowball!!) then drove it to get the ft end aligned and verify I did everything correctly. I had the toe set almost perfectly using a tape measure, just lucky. My brother did some ft end work on his 37 Dodge pick-up and forgot to get the ft end (toe) aligned, his tires were almost ruined because he drove over 400 miles.

Bruce

• 5 months later...

Update on the suspension on the car. engine and tranny are pulled.  I pulled the sway bar off, tie rod ends on pass side, and the pass side inner shock. found that the inner shock is completely shot. plan on tearing into the suspension more this weekend.

I've gotten a moog replacement kit for the bushings, ball joints tie rods etc.. etc.. the only thing I need to get are springs and shocks, figure it can't hurt to replace them now. just looking any advice and experience on what's some of the best out there. I plan on staying more on stock side.

Thanks,

Chad

Did you go with the moog springs? I installed eaton coil springs on the rear of my 72 monte ,and got the perfect height I was looking for , I was thinking of having new eaton front end springs installed ,but concerned about the height.

• 2 weeks later...

Project update.  (rsorg) I have decided to keep my original springs, Got them cleaned up and ready to paint, along with all the other suspension parts that were taken off.

I will post some pictures in a couple days. I still got to get the bushings in on the control arms and finish painting before putting everything back on. :rofl:

If I were a betting man, those front springs a probably shot . I would spend the extra time/money and replace with new ones .I have been down that road and replaced these after the fact. you can find factory replacements from MOOG. difference is if with A/C or not.

The front suspension is not a place you should be looking to take short cuts on.  I agree the original springs, at over 40 years old are more than likely.  There is no reason to rebuild the arms and not do the springs, it is dangerous enough to mess with spring compression once, no sense in having to redo it.  Rebuild or replace all moving parts in that front end, including the stabilizer bar bushings to help tighten things up again.  

These Monte's steer very easy so don't mistake easy steering with play.  Newer cars are much stiffer in the steering than these were.  I had forgotten about that when I bought my current Monte and even after I rebuilt the entire front suspension it was still smooth and easy to steer but it did not wander.

rob

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate the concern on the springs, but that's the way I am going to roll. this past weekend finished up driver side suspension. except for the sway bar. the sway bar link set I ordered are too tall compared to what I took off. thinking about cutting the new ones down and tapping it. or reusing bolts from the old one. also the sway bar bushings I bought are too big. :nutz:  just ordered another set to try.

On another note we have decided to take the car body off the frame. found a bit of cancer that I can't patch with the body on the frame. kind of sad and glad at the same time :eek: I know I haven't done any pics in a while will try to get some up soon. thanks for the support and advice

chad

• Like 1