Plastic inner fenders?

Corvus

Hey all,

Curious if anyone runs without the plastic inner fenders on their Monte. I was really interested in the Tokyo Drift Monte Carlo and like the open engine bay look without them. I know that it would kick a bunch of crap up into the engine bay, but curious if anyone has driven without them and how bad it is. Thinking about making something to still brace the fenders but not be as big as the plastic ones. 

1971-chevrolet-monte-carl-17_600x0w.jpg

I think it would really crap up the engine compartment. Just look at what gathers on the underside of the inner fender wells. Without them in place all of that would not only collect in the engine compartment but also under the fenders and all over the firewall.

rob

Stone chips will create

High spots in the outside and almost guarantee rust in the back sides of the fenders.

Not a very good idea if you plan on driving it anywhere!

If you can design something that will protect from that it would be a nice idea

I think it would really crap up the engine compartment. Just look at what gathers on the underside of the inner fender wells. Without them in place all of that would not only collect in the engine compartment but also under the fenders and all over the firewall.

rob

Definitely agreed. I'd try to put something to cover the tire, but still not take up all the room the plastics do. 

Stone chips will create

High spots in the outside and almost guarantee rust in the back sides of the fenders.

Not a very good idea if you plan on driving it anywhere!

If you can design something that will protect from that it would be a nice idea

Very true. I'm thinking of something (probably some thinish gauge sheetmetal) to "seal off" the inner fender and form an arch over the tire. Something more flush with the fenders and could still use the same bolt locations. Just malling things over since my plastics are pretty beat up and I like a cleaner engine bay. I'll see if I can photoshop something, just thought I'd see if anyone had something similar or ran without them.  :cool:

quite a few guys here run steel chevelle inners including myself, pretty much a direct fit with the exception of the aftermarket factor. you may need to hog out a few holes here & there, but otherwise a fantastic fit that in my opinion looks way better than the plastic. Although not "factory correct" you also will not have to replace them every few years because the battery cracked one bouncing around.  :cry2:

several vendors out there and these steel are usually way cheaper than the Monte plastic

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Chevelle/#p=162

IMG_20130507_223555_zps4edad6c6.jpg

IMG_20130507_223611_zps8e6e7ebe.jpg

U will have to excuse the major dust on the engine compartment, this was just after paint and way before detailing

IMG_20130508_205414_zps6a60f2b6.jpg

IMG_20130508_205430_zpsd1872501.jpg

IMG_20130611_234255_zpsd713caa9.jpg

• Like 1

I also put in the steel ones , the plastic did crack by the battery area, I went to ace hardware and bought these black snap in plugs to fill in the extra holes that were not being used the caps fit perfectly.

• Like 1

my plastic inners were so busted up that when I drove the car in the rain water would pull on the moter and try to drown it out. in body shop now getting new steel inners put in after the body work is done

Awesome! Didn't know those were a direct fit, those look much better. Gotta show off my cheapy upper tubular control arms  :rofl:

Mine are all kinds of cracked and the fenders are flopping around while driving because none of it is bolted together haha. I would think steel would offer a little more support. I'll also be relocating the battery to the trunk, so should clean it up a bit more. Thanks for the feedback and pics!

I looked at it like this.... my original plastic ones lasted 32 years, which aint too bad, and other than being cracked they still looked nice and clean, not sure metal ones would have held up any better. As for the battery bouncing around and cracking the plastic ones.....fix the battery hold down clamp and tray.

It does come down to preference. I went with the plastic due to keeping the original theme but fully understand someone going with metal.

rob