Hood hinge spring orientation

I'm putting on new hood hinges and springs. I'm hoping the new springs from NPD (C-8013-2 with GM #3848272) are correct. I told them it's for a 70 Chevelle SS with cowl induction since they don't cross to Monte Carlo parts. It's also the same part number that comes up from GM parts direct for the Monte.

Which way do the hook ends point on the hinges? I couldn't find anything in the servis manual about this. Does it matter?

The first set of hinges buckled and it had 25 coils and larger diameter. The second set were used because I was in a pinch. The diameter and coils are the same at 29 coils. If the hood doesn't stay up, that's fine. I'll just prop it up. My main concern is the hood staying centered between the fenders. The used set has a little play in them and I want to get the new hinges on before it gets worse. I am tackling this myself. I'll prop the hood up and put blocks under the cowl end to keep it elevated while I swap out hinges real quick. Then the other side and finally adjustment. I know it's easier with help, but I work odd hours and getting someone to help at 3 in the morning usually doesn't go well.

Here is a link to the only picture I have on my hood spring, rt (passenger) side.

Bruce

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/u-PWqO3ip9lzVORfvb3AYNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I put on after market hinges and springs I got from Leo Konick when we did the repaint two 1/2 yrs ago. The hood stays up and looks great too.

The springs on the passenger side look like they will align with hook down on the front one and hook towards the fender on the rear one. Opposite for the drivers side. The angles actually look like it may need to twist a touch to get it into the notches. I think I'll mess with them tomorrow or Thursday.

What color/sheen are the hinges supposed to be? I have a set from Leo and they are ready to bolt in and are a dull black. The other reproduction ones were shiny. I can paint them if need be, but not sure if they need it or not. More worried about rust than correct sheen.

When I got mine form Leo they were a semi gloss. Sem 39143 trim black is a good match also Eastwood has a similar sheen black.

The rear notch on the ones from NPD were not as deep as the ones from Leo. The ones from NPD actually bent under the pressure from the spring. I should have just went to Leo in the first place, live and learn.

Going to shoot them with some paint tonight. Thinking a light coat in the open position would be best. Maybe a light coat in the closed position as well. Don't think it will bind the pivot points since they are pretty hard to get paint into. What's your opinion on a method of painting. It's going to be rattle can.