Installing Painless wiring harness

Big Al

I'm in the final stage of a on frame restoration of my 1972 MC. After re-installing my engine and getting it running I started having electrical issues and decide to replace the wiring harness. after doing some research I decide to go with the Painless wiring harness. I wanted to know if any of you have rewired there MC with the painless wiring harness and what tips or advice you could give me. This is my first time rewiring and entire car and any help or suggestions you could provide me would be appreciated.   Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I ask why you choose the painless harness? Did you consider buying the stock replacement harness and having them add what changes you might have. This is like having a HEI, and maybe a Elec. Choke. I did this years ago and it was super easy to install. American Auto Wire has both harnesses. Good Luck.

Carl

I used the painless wiring harness for my Monte a few years ago and its still running :).

Instalattion is not 'painless', take your time and be thourogh...

A friend suggested the painless harness, I had also researched American auto wire, every time I tried to contact their company I could never get anyone on the phone. I also wanted to hide some of the engine bay wiring that runs across the back of the firewall. I also have a electric choke, is the American auto wire harness updated with the current fuse (square type) used today ? I haven't order Painless yet, I wanted to get some feedback from some of the other members that have replaced their wiring harness. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes you can get it made with the square fuses. I will check the phone number I always use and post it later. They have a operator that always answers the phone. She will then connect you to a salesperson. Just have a list of the changes you want.

They make a excellent harness. I would say Best in the USA.

Carl

Big Al I have done both a Painless harness for muscle cars in a 71 Monte, if I remember right I had to open up the stock fuse box opening for the new box to fit. The American auto wire harness is the system I have in my 70 and have been working on for my 72 Monte. The harness I have from AAW use the newer style fuses and have option for power windows, power seats and power door locks.

Here is the number I've always used---866-405-1367 They also have this one---856-933-0801 This one is real old.

Carl

if I remember right I had to open up the stock fuse box opening for the new box to fit.

I bought the GM A-Body specific harness from Painless. Fit perfectly into the hole in the firewall.

I want to thank everyone for the feedback and information you provided me. I contacted AAW and Painless and talk to tech/salesmen at both companies. Right now I'm reading installation guides both companies e-mailed me and deciding which wiring harness to purchase. From what I can tell right now both companies have outstanding wiring harness. Thanks again.

Big Al here is some picture I took of the AAW harness that I put in my 70 http://s274.photobucket.com/user/monte70car/library/dash/wiring . I don't have any from the 72 but it used the same AAW harness. The first three pictures are the Painless wiring book I used in a 71 for a friend which was the GM Muscle car 18 cirucit kit. Both kits have long enough wire to route the wires where and how you want them. My 70 the wires went back in the stock location on my 72 the forward harness will go between the inner fender and the outer fender. So it will look like this 012-3-1.jpg compared to on the inner fender.

The AAW kit 510336 is the kit that was recommend by salesman. I have a question it seems that the AAW kit doesn't supply wiring for the power windows, doors or seat wiring. How would I connect them to the fuse box?

Big Al that is the same harness I have in my 70 and an putting in my 72. Power windows, power door locks and power seats is wired into the harness with their own circuit. ACCESSORIES.

10 amp
Fused 12 volt IGNITION feed for fuel pump (may also be used to feed power to another ignition circuit)
Orange
BAT1
20 amp
Fused 12 volt BATTERY feed for power seats (may also be used to feed power to another battery circuit)
Red
BAT2
30 amp
Fused 12 volt BATTERY feed for power door locks (may also be used to feed power to another accessory circuit)
Pink
IGN1
20 amp
Fused 12 volt IGNITION feed for cruise control (may also be used to feed power to another ignition circuit)
Pink
PWRWDO
30 amp
Fused 12 volt IGNITION feed for power windows (may also be used to feed power to another ignition circuit)
Dk Blue
ACCY1
30 amp
Fused 12 volt ACCESSORY feed (may also be used to feed power to an accessory circuit)

Monte 70car,

I have already removed my engine and headlight harness/wiring. I also removed my fuse box but not all of the wiring in the inside of the car. Will I have to remove the dash to get to all of the wiring be hide the dash, instruments, light switch and others?

you don't have to pull the dash but it does help to run it back where you want it. There is ground wires for the dash harness that has to be remove. The headlight switch you can leave connected to the stock harness as the new one comes with a new headlight switch. The dash cluster plug can be unplugged from the cluster as you will be making a new plug for the cluster. You will also need to pull the front seat and back seat so you can run the harness from the interior of the car to the trunk.

Monte 70car,

The AAW wiring kit arrives tomorrow. I have already removed the engine & front light harness. I also removed the fuse box and disconnected the rear harness. Just from your experience with installing the AAW harness what would you do next?

My first thought was to leave dash harness connected until I could get one of my friends to help me with removing the dash. Until the dash was removed I was going to take the new harness install the fuse box then connect the engine and the front light harness and then work on the rear harness. what do you think?

Hi Big Al since you have the front harness and engine harness remove you can start there the new harness will plug into the stock fuse box so you can make the connection for the lights, horn, and the engine connection. On my 72 I zip tied all the wires together to make it easier running them in the correct location. Where it's going to take time will be the dash harness due to the cluster plug and where they plug into the harness at.

Monte 70car,

I was reading the installation instructions and AAW kit will not support the factory ammeter and recommends using a voltmeter. What did you do to convert your gauge console from a ammeter to a voltmeter? I found a company on the internet called Instrument R Us that will convert your old ammeter to a voltmeter. But they want you to ship your gauge console to them. I really don't want to do that if I don't have too. 

Big Al on my 70 I went with a Dakota Digital cluster which has modem day gauges. The 72 I'm not really worried about the AMP gauge so its not hooked up. The AMP gauge is in the cluster but it will always read 0. There is a company called http://www.tachman.com/gm.htm they carry volt gauge to replace the AMP gauge or even a oil PSI gauge. If your not worry about the AMP gauge working you can leave it in the dash hookk everything up and don't add any wires for those plugs on the cluster plus which is number 3 and 4 for the AMP. The PCB will not send current to the AMP as there is nothing to provide juice to the circuit.

Monte 70car, I was thinking about buying a aftermarket gauge cluster. From what I have seen they cost between $700 to 800. I had installed a digital cluster in my 86 IROC years ago when I had it. How much modifying did you have to do to get it to work with the AAW harness? If you have a picture of how it looks in your car could you send it? Thanks' for all the help and feedback.

Monte 70car, until I decide which way to go with my gauge cluster I was going to go ahead and remove and replace the rear body kit. But I ran into a problem when trying to remove the tail light housing. I was able to remove the top chrome piece that is held in-place by three screws and the red glass that is held in-place by four screws. I also went inside the trunk and removed two wing nuts that I thought held the housing in-place. The housing still doesn't move. I even checked my 1972 service manual and it was very vague because it covers Nova, Chevelle. Camaro, Corvette and Monte Carlo's. The manual only gives you the general steps on removing the rear housing for all of the cars. 

Am I missing something? Does the rear bumper have to come off to unscrew the light housing, thus removing the rear light harness. 

Also if you don't mind me asking who did you purchase your Dakota digital gauge from and did you have to wait 3 to 4 weeks like some of the companies on EBay are adverting. 

Monte 70car, After giving it some thought, I decided to order the Dakota VHX70CCVLKB. I wanted as close as the original gauges but with the modern oil and voltage gauges include in the gauge cluster. I also decide to follow the AAW instructions as written and I removed my dash today. It's going to take two to three weeks to receive the Dakota but I'm going to install the dash harness once I remove the old dash harness and wait on installing the instrument harness and press with the light, engine harnesses and then the rear harness. Again thanks' for all the advice and information.

Monte 70car, After removing the interior harness I found a connector that is part of the power window/locks harness that I didn't know what it attaches to. Could you please look at the attached picture and tell where/ what it would connect to. Its the connector that's is on the left by the steering wheel at the 9:00 clock position.