71 monte carlo ss

orbit

Just picked up this Monte on the weekend. She is completely matching numbers motor,trans,and rear. And loaded ps,pb,pw,tilt,a/c,rear defrost,cruise control,washer monitor

post-1179-0-77662500-1440635253_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-41328000-1440635289_thumb.jpg

Yep. I have loved these cars since I was a kid. My Uncle bought brand new in 71 a triple black monte 4 speed small block with air. He is no longer here but his daughter has the car unfortunately there is nothing left of it but I am trying to aquire it. The motor has never been out of that car. Back to my SS. It is a Baltimore car but the build sheet seems to be eluding me. Any ideas guys. Not on top of the tank or in the seats or the door panels and the previous owner said it's not behind the glove box.

Yep. I have loved these cars since I was a kid. My Uncle bought brand new in 71 a triple black monte 4 speed small block with air. He is no longer here but his daughter has the car unfortunately there is nothing left of it but I am trying to aquire it. The motor has never been out of that car. Back to my SS. It is a Baltimore car but the build sheet seems to be eluding me. Any ideas guys. Not on top of the tank or in the seats or the door panels and the previous owner said it's not behind the glove box.

Build Sheets were found in the following areas of my 1970 Baltimore built car:

1.) Bottom rear seat springs.

2.) Bottom front seat springs.

3.) Driver side front seat back (this one turned out to be meant for a different Monte)

4.) Driver side front carpet between carpet and sound deadening material. I havent had the door panels or carpet out or the gas tank down so there may be more.

rob

Mine has one on each front fender inside. Found them when I removed the inner fender ext. no longer complete & I haven't touched them as they are falling apart. have one from gas tank & under pass side carpet with a couple extra screws & empty chewing tobacco pouch #7. Good luck

Rob

Thanks alot. Will have to check those areas out. Can't wait to get her ready for next spring. I will keep pictures coming. Is there any members that are rebuild g- restoring the self leveling systems on these cars. I have my compressor and the valve but that's about it except for the shock protectors

I though cruise control wasn't available on an SS due to the location of the air compression as it mounts to thte same location on the inner fender.

That was also my understanding.

rob

It is probably a dealer installed unit because all numbers and dates match on the whole driveline with the build date of the car and it's Vin number plus part of the leveling system is still on the car along with the shock protectors

Joe, my Baltimore built '70 had a build sheet under the rear seat stuffed up into the springs.   I found a much nicer one when I removed the passenger side bucket seat back (see photos).  It looks like your SS has buckets, so you might check there, also.

The most difficult part of removing that bucket seat back is popping the seat release button housing out.  Insert a flat putty knife between the plastic seat back and the lip of the release button housing on either side (not top or bottom) and push sharply against the flat retaining spring.  It should pop right out.  Then, remove the two exposed screws and the four small screws along the bottom edge of the plastic shell and lift up as you pull the bottom of the housing toward you. Maybe you've done this before ... Good luck!

post-567-0-19981800-1440786339_thumb.jpg  post-567-0-77743500-1440786756_thumb.jpg post-567-0-94018500-1440786784_thumb.jpg post-567-0-57982300-1440787114_thumb.jpg

Oh I have no doubt that it's an SS. Upon further inspection it looks like the cruise was dealer installed. Wiring comes through a hole in the firewall and not part of the original harness.