71 monte carlo ss

orbit

I found 4 build sheets in my 71 Kansas built plain jane I guess if it was an SS I wouldn't have found one. Like the colour, should be fun to get it on the road.

Leo

That's a great car to save, especially with all the options. I have no doubt it's an SS, too. The matching numbers 454 you posted about seals that up. I'm interested in what code is on the tag that's on the passenger side of the transmission. I had a good forum thread going about that tag being proof or not of an SS, but it's no longer available. I think it was lost with many other threads when this site made its last big change. Could you check the code sometime, please?

Dan

Thanks for the information.  My TH400 rebuilding book info matches your tag.  In 1971, the CF trans was only installed behind a  454 in a Monte or Chevelle.

Dan 

• Like 1

Well after 13 years of hibernation the Monte lives again. Started up no problem held oil pressure and not a whisper in the motor. However she definitely needs a new wiring harness from the firewall out.

• Like 1

Can I ask what did these cars come with from the factory 3 core or 4 core. I have a Harrison 3 core in the car but it seems kinda small. Any input would be great.

Joe

If your car came with a 4-core radiator, the core support and radiator hold down plate have tabs welded on them for the larger tank on the driver's side.

As you guys can see the car had a fender bender in the front. I don't know if the rad support was changed or not. So I was wondering if one of these super sports could have come from the factory with a big block,air conditioning and a three core radiator or if someone switched out the radiator

Also do you guys know of any issues I might run into if I bring my original gas tank to my radiator shop to have it boiled out. Will I have to put a sealer in it after or should it be fine.

Joe

Hey Joe, sometimes if you look back through our "For Sale" section you can find someone who might or start a post or thread in that section simply stateing Looking for a descent 1971 grill. And see if anyone replies..... just my thoughts and nice to have a 71ss isnt it......?

Darren.

Darren

Thanks I will try there. And yes it is. The 71 is one of my all-time favorite cars. I saw one of my old posts about this car on this Fourm and the date was 2012. Been chasing this car for 3 years.

Thanks Joe

Darren

Congradulations on your 71SS. When I saw those pictures it reminded me of my late Uncles triple black 71 four speed 350. This working on getting that car from my couisin. Not much left of that car and it has not been on the road in 20+ years but it has never been touched either.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 14 years of hibernation I got the ss to drive under its own power. I drove it around the yard for awhile and everything seemed to run ok but no brakes. Gonna do a compression test next week then start the disassembly and restore the Fram and underside of the car then send it out for paint. Trying to have it ready for the spring

• Like 1

Thats Great Joe, I had the same thing. The 72 had not run for about 5 yrs and then when I got her running she ran fine but no brakes. I am gonna check the master cylinder to see if she is dry, if so thats shot or very doubtfull the diaphrame is shot in the booster..

Good luck on compression test.....

Darren.