71 monte carlo ss

orbit

Looking good Joe. You're almost at ground zero. As I start pulling things apart in my own 71 SS deconstruction and build, I am realizing how much work/money is involved to restore one of these cars nicely (say to the Vaughn standard). You start to scrutinize every part and some of them you realize just aren't going to look good enough on a restored car. Decisions, decisions!

Isn't that the truth. I have a friend that restores vette for a living to NCRS standards and the time and money that goes into them is insane. I am gonna bring this one to a very nice level that is not gonna take remortgaging the house but will be awesome when done. Gonna do whatever I can myself as I like working on them as much as I like driving them. This Fourm is a fantastic place to chat with other owners and great info on these cars. You guys are an asset to the hobby.

Joe

What exhaust systems are you guys running. I'm trying to stay close to a factory system. Was looking at inline tube or the parts place or maybe a garner. Are any of you guys running resonators

I used '69 Chevelle tailpipes so they weren't any resonators and so I could use the cowbell tips, the gardner tips are the nicest ones I have ever seen, twice as heavy as any of the re-pop crap out there, use their turbo mufflers for a little more exhaust note 

inline is local here to me, I would buy the Gardner again, no questions asked! you can get all the clamps and stuff ceramic coated to so it won't rust!, their hangers and hardware are the best I have ever used, it was such a surprise to use an aftermarket product that actually worked the way it was suppose too and the best quality, worth every penny!

I am a master mechanic and have been messing with GM A bodies all my life, if you want as close to stock as you can get and a quality product which is hard to find anymore these days, Gardner exhaust is the way to go

http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/

Sounds good Sam. Truth be told when I first looked at this car I thought the ad said non matching so I was gonna make it a 4 speed ss but after finding out that it was completely matching I figured I would return it to its former glory. As it seems to be a fully loaded ss.

Joe

I told Eric that it was a 71 monte ss. He said it was same basic system as chevelle. He is making mine with no heat riser so that head pipe will be a shade longer. He was familiar with the car. He knew just what I was looking for.

Joe

I built a dolly for the SS this weekend and got the body on it and rolled in the garage so now I can remove the undercoat and detail the underside while the Frame is out being blasted. This way when the frame gets back I can install the new suspension and rear and then get the body back on.

post-1179-0-51658300-1447016434_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-65718500-1447016462_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-96705800-1447016484_thumb.jpg

So I have been busy doing the horrible job of removing all the undercoat from the bottom of my car. It's coming out good but what a pain in the butt. Heat gun and putty knife and alot of lacquer thinner.post-1179-0-84400500-1447706840_thumb.jpgpost-1179-0-76351500-1447706862_thumb.jpgpost-1179-0-57644700-1447706883_thumb.jpgpost-1179-0-61636800-1447706901_thumb.jpg

Edited by orbit