converting a/c...

Yep! We've had to do it twice, unfortunately, so be careful who does it. The very first time, we blew the AC clutch shortly after. Grabbed a compressor out of a cabinet in my Father-in-law's shop, tried again with same person. Made horrendous noises for about 1 month, then pouf. Finally, we got smart. An HVAC guy joined our car club. His father restores Big Block Vettes. We grabbed a junkyard compressor again, and let it drain on it's face for about 1 week. Todd then vacuumed it out again just to be sure, attached it, and charged the system. It's been fantastic! It's quiet and cold. We believe that the first guy (who owns a shop) hurried it and didn't drain everything before starting. Todd, knowing what he's doing and having the time to do it, was far more careful. All we did was pick up a charging kit at Pep Boys, and he did the rest.

The first guy had charged us an arm and a leg for shoddy work. The guy who referred us, another Vette restorer, has since left him as well.

It can be done, and it's great to have, but be very very careful.

------------------

Charles and Celeste (but usually Celeste)

oh...and Monte the 1971 Monte Carlo 350

and under as much "frame off restoration" as an F-Body can get (including a box of sheet metal sitting in my dining room), Big Bird the 1976 FireBird Esprit 350!

hey fellow kansas man,don't see many posts from people around here. another option you have is to put freeze 12 in your a/c if it's still set up for r12.You do not have to change anything. A guy I work with just put come in his truck and the only thing we had to alter was the threads were different from a 134a connector so we made a threaded bushing to fit in the old connector with the right threads on the inside and it worked out great. COLD air and the can only cost him $7.00.